• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Who wants to help my wife and I replace a clutch?!?

Nickrp

OK so my wife and I are purchasing my cousin's 67 bronco that here and her dad built up about 10 years ago, since she has kept it up and running until about a month ago when the clutch went out. (she’s preg. so she was gonna replace it after she had her kid, but her and her husband decided to sell in order to pay off their cars). And it happened we were looking so it all fit.

But here’s the deal, I took auto shop in high school, my wife can turn the key and hit the gas on the car and my dad knows slightly more than my wife ;) The primary reason we wanted an old car was to fix it up together so my wife could learn about cars (her idea, not mine) and we could have a fun project to do together. BUT, after reading all your guys responses to my first thread, doing a clutch for our first project may be a hell of a bite for our first project!

The bronco is going to be towed to my Dad's house in La Habra, (Orange County CA) we have basic hand tools, a jack, and I believe a few jack stands. other than that we have the maintenance book..... I have looked locally for a trans cradle, but no one seems to have one.?:? Also what does the trans weigh about?

I’m here to solicit some help! Anyone here in Orange County want to help a few newbs change a clutch, there's beer in it for you! Homebrew, the good stuff! ;) we are hoping to do it this weekend if we can get all the details worked out to get the car to my parents place from Anaheim Hills. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!
;D;D;D

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
you sure it's the clutch? What's the problem? I only say that due to the fact that i bought a truck a few years back with a terrible chatter, replaced the clutch assy and that wasn't the problem, turned out to be weak mounts

OP
OP
N

Nickrp

you sure it's the clutch? What's the problem? I only say that due to the fact that i bought a truck a few years back with a terrible chatter, replaced the clutch assy and that wasn't the problem, turned out to be weak mounts

I would say yes it is the clutch mainly because my cousin, her dad, and her husband have all been working on cars since childhood, and on this one in particular for the past 10 plus years. It would make sense as it has the stock gearing but 33's on it right now (long story how those got on there). She has the parts to rebuild it, but as I said, she’s preg and busy so crawling under there wasn’t top priority.

But then again, my wife and I know nothing, that’s why I was reaching out for a bit of help.

dbevans2249

Loc.
Buena Park, Ca.
Nickrp, I can help you some Saturday if you are get it to La Habra. This is an easy job so don’t be intimidated. It may take more than one weekend though. The Flywheel will probably need to be resurfaced and will take a weekday or two to get done.
PM a phone number or email if you want.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I’m here to solicit some help! Anyone here in Orange County want to help a few newbs change a clutch, there's beer in it for you! Homebrew, the good stuff! ;)
I'd really like to come over and drink some bee.... I mean, help out with the clutch, but it's a bit of a drive for me. ;)

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
Nick,
get on the Socal Broncos yahoo chat group. Not a sweet website like this but a bunch of GREAT EBers in your area! You'll be sure to find some very experienced and knowledgable folks close by to lend a hand.

Fungus

OP
OP
N

Nickrp

dbevans2249 has graciously offered to help us out once we pick up the car. Hopefully we will be able to document it with pics all the way through and we will post em all up.

1970mule

Bronco Guru
like some have said its not a tuff job just messy and a little heavy lifting. and a few things to remember. if you have a 3 speed manual then the most important thing to remember is put the transmission into first gear before you take it out and then zip tie the shift forks so they can not move. otherwise you will drop the internal needle bearings and you will be in a hot mess. ask me how i know. aside from that this is cake. you'll be riding the gravy train on biscuit wheels on this one.

OP
OP
N

Nickrp

yeah it is a three speed but its a floor shift if that makes a dif. but i will keep that in mind. i will take all the tips i can get!!

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
I'd really like to come over and drink some bee.... I mean, help out with the clutch, but it's a bit of a drive for me. ;)

Steve, don't you have your own project to drink/ work on? Cherry Creek is coming up fast. :-*

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I'm too far away to lend a hand too but if you put it on a webcam I think it would be hilarious, uh, I mean helpful to watch. ;)

OP
OP
N

Nickrp

Anyone know of a good shop where i can get the flywheel resurfaced in OC?

1970mule

Bronco Guru
yeah it is a three speed but its a floor shift if that makes a dif. but i will keep that in mind. i will take all the tips i can get!!

thats exactly what i have. you should be fine it was my first real project . easy as cake.

OP
OP
N

Nickrp

thats exactly what i have. you should be fine it was my first real project . easy as cake.

Again, Noob here, what are the shift forks? dbevans2249 said he would lend a hand and says pulling the motor is easier and gives better access then pulling the trans, woulk i still need to zip up the shift forks? as i dont think i would be removing the trans from the shifter at that point?

anyone else use the pull the motor technique?

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
any good auto machine shop can resurface your flywheel. check your yellow pages.

i've never pulled the engine to replace the clutch, but it can be done that way. it usually takes me about 5 hours or so to replace a clutch from the bottom.