• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Who's got a manual line lock??

Ryans71

Loc.
Milton, Wa
I have an electric one for the front but am installing a manual one for the rear to act as a parking brake.

If you got one, where did you mount it? I was thinking somewhere under the front of the seat or to the side of the seat.

Ryan.

rob wilson

Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
Ryan,

I've got electric locks for both front and rear so can't help with the manual version, but... I sure wouldn't trust using line locks (electric or manual) as a parking/emergency brake. Just my 2c.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
They also are not legal to use as an emergency brake in Washington. The statute specifies that there be two independant braking systems where a failure of one will not prevent the other from operating. I would need to dig out the statute for specific wording but that in essence is what it says.

cmud

Loc.
Eastern Washington
I have the manual one from bc broncos, made a plate and put it where my dualtanks selector used to be. It works great, I was learry at first, but it's been a couple years now with no problems.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Line locks are illegal as e-brakes because if you loose line pressure(blown cyl, or cracked line) you will have no e-brake. I have a manual 4 whl lock taht is keyed for security.

tx1ton

Loc.
Boerne, TX
I have an electric for the fronts and manual for the back brakes. It's mounted under the front seat where the tank selector used to be. I don't know about legality but since this is a non-street driven bronco suppose it matters not. I use the rear when trailering and it's excellent. Too, on the trail the rear holds for as long as I need on steep hills. I like it a lot and am getting the BC one for my '71 as well.

Nice thing about the manual ones is you can leave it locked for as long as you need to without burning out a solenoid like on the electric ones. Electric one's are convienient for that quick hold sometimes needed on the trail...

Joe

OP
OP
Ryans71

Ryans71

Loc.
Milton, Wa
tx1ton said:
I have an electric for the fronts and manual for the back brakes. It's mounted under the front seat where the tank selector used to be. I don't know about legality but since this is a non-street driven bronco suppose it matters not. I use the rear when trailering and it's excellent. Too, on the trail the rear holds for as long as I need on steep hills. I like it a lot and am getting the BC one for my '71 as well.

Nice thing about the manual ones is you can leave it locked for as long as you need to without burning out a solenoid like on the electric ones. Electric one's are convienient for that quick hold sometimes needed on the trail...

Joe

This is the setup I'll have. Electric in the front and manual in the back. I installed the BC manual lock today where you put yours, but moved it over to the drivers side a bit. Should work out fine.

I very rarely drive mine on the road (1 to 2 times/month..), it's mostly towed or trailered so I'm not too worrried about not having a mechanical e-brake.

Thanks for the info.

Ryan.

OP
OP
Ryans71

Ryans71

Loc.
Milton, Wa
tx1ton said:

Joe

So the electric ones don't hold very long? How long before they burn out?

Ryan.

tx1ton

Loc.
Boerne, TX
Well they'll hold as long as the solenoid holds up, but I wouldn't, as a rule, use them for more than 10 mins or so. I once smoked mine by leaving it on and forgetting it (it was up on the trailer and I got busy with other stuff) and it fried my wiring pretty good. Use them as needed, but just don't leave them on. I'm sure some are rated at more A-hrs than others, check around in Jegs or Summit...

Joe

OP
OP
Ryans71

Ryans71

Loc.
Milton, Wa
tx1ton said:
Well they'll hold as long as the solenoid holds up, but I wouldn't, as a rule, use them for more than 10 mins or so. I once smoked mine by leaving it on and forgetting it (it was up on the trailer and I got busy with other stuff) and it fried my wiring pretty good. Use them as needed, but just don't leave them on. I'm sure some are rated at more A-hrs than others, check around in Jegs or Summit...

Joe

I got one from Summit. But the webpage doesn't reference anything about amp/hrs. But I'll just try to keep it to minimal use and that'll hopefully keep it from burning out. Thanks.

Ryan.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
FWIW, I wouldn't trust either one to hold a rig while I climbed around on the downhill side of it. I've seen them cut loose after being on for 5 or 10 minutes. Also if you plan to leave one on for an extended length of time I would upgrade to steel braided lines since the rubber ones will stretch over time.

tx1ton

Loc.
Boerne, TX
I agree - good advice to always chock the wheels if you are going to leave it for a while - toss a rock under them or what not. I also agree with the SS line recomendation, better for sure!

Joe

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ryans71 said:
I got one from Summit. But the webpage doesn't reference anything about amp/hrs. But I'll just try to keep it to minimal use and that'll hopefully keep it from burning out. Thanks.

Ryan.

I'd ask eric he has a electric one. We are both putting the manual one from BC on also.

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
We have been using the same manual one for 15+ years.... no problems yet, so we are on borrowed time.
On the trail we cross-shift the T-case plus the lever-lock if we are in a risky position.
Jon

OP
OP
Ryans71

Ryans71

Loc.
Milton, Wa
Just finished hooking up the switch and indicator light for the front electric lock. Hopefully a bright red indicator light will show up during the daylight.

Ryan.

Grunt1058

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Land of Entrapment
Anyone got any part #s and Vendors to go with them?

I'm looking to do a pair for my 71. Would it be better to install 2 mechanical line locks or one electric and one mechanical?

I'm a firm believer that my eBrakes have NEVER worked on any of my EBs. Line Locks seem much more reliable then having absolutely NOTHING.

OP
OP
Ryans71

Ryans71

Loc.
Milton, Wa
I got my manual one from BC's (it's the only one he sells) and my electric from Summit. I put the manual one on the rear and the electric on the front.

Ryan.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Grunt1058 said:
Anyone got any part #s and Vendors to go with them?

I'm looking to do a pair for my 71. Would it be better to install 2 mechanical line locks or one electric and one mechanical?

I'm a firm believer that my eBrakes have NEVER worked on any of my EBs. Line Locks seem much more reliable then having absolutely NOTHING.
Maybe more reliable than nothing but not as reliable as gettingthe ebrake to work properly. When I used one on my Jeep it was an electric one. It's sole purpose was to free up one foot to get moving on steep inclines with a manual tranny. I didn't trust it for anything other than that and it was never used if someone wasn't also behind the wheel. Mine never failed but we had one on another rig that dig cut loose after it had been on for about 5 minutes on a steep incline. I was underneath it working on the tie rod at the time. Fortunately there was also someone behind the wheel when it did or it would have rolled right over the 4 or 5 people in front of it and a couple of us under it. They may work great 99/100 times but that 1 time is the time that people can get killed.

Grunt1058

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Land of Entrapment
mine will be going on my 71 with an automatic tranny. I just want it to work enough to keep the pressure off my tranny when in Park. If my line lock fails, my tranny still isn't going to go anywhere. Just a PITA to shift when it's under pressure.