• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Who's rear 5.5" springs would you recommend

mountainview68

Loc.
yet to be determined
I have a set of WH 5.5 inch 11 pack springs and they are bent after 3 trail runs, and the bronco now sits unlevel in the rear. I am planning on removing the rear springs and installing a traction bar and a new set of springs, but am not really wanting to run WH springs again. They told me that they are designed for maximum travel and a soft ride so bending is not uncommon:eek:. What brand would everyone recommend?

BroncoMark

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Irvine CA
Deavers are one of the best, if not the best brands of springs. BC Broncos and American Bronco.com both sell them.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I like the Cage springs however any soft spring is going to be more susceptable to spring wrap and bending. Jim was good about it when I bent mine and gave me a new set under warranty (lifetime) but he did ask that I put a traction bar in so I didn't bend another set.

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
You might check out www.alcanspring.com. They make thier own and you can have them put their neat liitle Orbit eyes in the springs to gain more flex. I have not ran a set of the springs on my rig, but I have seen a set on an FJ-40. I can ask him what are his reactions to the springs if you're interested.

J.D.

crawln68

Bronco Guru
mountainview68 said:
I have a set of WH 5.5 inch 11 pack springs and they are bent after 3 trail runs, and the bronco now sits unlevel in the rear. I am planning on removing the rear springs and installing a traction bar and a new set of springs, but am not really wanting to run WH springs again. They told me that they are designed for maximum travel and a soft ride so bending is not uncommon:eek:. What brand would everyone recommend?

My WH leafs bent from putting the rig on a fork lift to test the flex ONCE! Now the rear sits unlevel and I hate it! I don't know what I am going to do but I know that I'm not buying another set of WH springs.

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
this is all good to know. Does anyone make "stiff" springs that don't bend? I don't really care about the soft ride.

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
airman said:
this is all good to know. Does anyone make "stiff" springs that don't bend? I don't really care about the soft ride.

Yep, they are known as AAL (Add-a-leaf). ;D :cool: %) OK sorry, just being obnoxious.

My National leafs seem to be doing good. Although I sag a little now that I made a spare tire carrier. But I only have 3.5".

J.D.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
airman said:
If you can find a Rancho, Superlift, or similar lift that includes rear springs instead of blocks then chances are they will be stiff and more resistant to bending. Another option would be to retrofit a set of wider springs from another rig in.

matt69

Loc.
Peoria
Airman, I have a set of 3.5inch KbarS springs that I will sell you this summer. They will jar your teeth out of your head. I don't think they are bent and ride super stiff.

matt

buknbrco

Loc.
Fairfield
My 5.5's from WH are bent also after one very mild trip. Has anyone talked to WH about this? What did they say?

idahobronc

Loc.
ketchum,Idaho
Mountainview,
Maybe you need to run them for a while so the settle/break in.My BC 4.5 sagged uneven then leveled out after about 4 months of use.Just a thought because these spring packs are not very cheap.

OP
OP
mountainview68

mountainview68

Loc.
yet to be determined
idahobronc said:
Mountainview,
Maybe you need to run them for a while so the settle/break in.My BC 4.5 sagged uneven then leveled out after about 4 months of use.Just a thought because these spring packs are not very cheap.

I don't think they are going to settle. They are so bent I can fit my index finger between the leaves in the spring pack below the spring eye.

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
Are you running bump stops?

I ask because I am running Tom's 5.5" springs. They flex great and have a comfy ride. The problem is that they flex so well
DSC03360.JPG

that after doing allot of that type of wheeling this happens
DSC03393.JPG

Tom's was quite fair im my dealings with them on this and he led me to the realization that I needed to add uppr bump stops to keep the springs from going past flat by 4" whick likely resulted in the breaking. Something of this nature might be the reason you and others are bending your springs.

None of my springs have shown any sign of bending, just the unfortunate breakage.

Dan

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Mine bending had nothing to do with bumpstops. They were literally S shaped in front of the axle from doing this with them:
IndependanceWknd_05_08b.jpg

IndependanceWknd_05_07b.jpg

If you look closely you can see the entire tire is a few inches forward of where it should be. (Normally my tires sit right in the middle of the opening)