• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

why did the striker post rust here

suckerpunched

I thought I finished with cutting out rust. I overlooked this spot. I really can't see why it rusted here, above the floor and not exposed from the back side. I scraped the undercoating road grime and mud off the back side and can see most of the panel. There are no other signs of rust other that this 3x3 area. Not to hot about changing the whole striker post. thinking about cutting into it, if it is only a small area I could probably fabricate a patch. Anyone have any suggestions? can a new post be put in without removing the rocker or quarter panel?

Attachments

• phpFnYnfZPM.jpg
    phpFnYnfZPM.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 121

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Anywhere there are seams it is a place that can/will rust also figure that mud can collect in that area which will hold moisture there longer as well so rust will from sooner or later.

You could probably just replace the rusted section. it would be way easier than replacing the whole thing

hmh800

Look on the backside. Is the area behind the post full of dirt/goo? Stuff can get in at the top, under the bed lip, but can't get out the bottom. I ended up cutting a small opening at the bottom of mine, after my daughter dropped some impact bits down there. Decided to keep it open so dirt/stuff couldn't collect there. Dumb design IMO.

Past_Miner

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had one that was similar. It actually looked almost exactly the same before I put the wire wheel to it. I think it's more from water running down from a leaking top than anything else. You can defintely patch it easier than replacing the whole post.

Attachments

• DSC01304.JPG
    DSC01304.JPG
    232.6 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC01306.JPG
    DSC01306.JPG
    222.5 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC01307.JPG
    DSC01307.JPG
    245.7 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC01310.JPG
    DSC01310.JPG
    254.5 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC01312.JPG
    DSC01312.JPG
    239.1 KB · Views: 66
OP
OP
suckerpunched

suckerpunched

past-miner, i think you and hmh800 are right. I looks like the area behind the post on the inside of the cab where that support runs down at an angle from the bedrail down to the post is probably full of debris. Nice job on that patch, Thats what I am going to do. might open something up on the inside to let that area drain out too. Thats the same reason why my front posts rusted, they had about 3" of debris in the bottom that couldn't get out. Had gobbs of seam sealer on it to make sure nothing got out. I didn't seal it when I put it back together, but now I'm thinking I should drill a drain hole in the bottom of it to let dirt out.