• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Why I love my Bronco...and fire extinguishers (sort of long)

JuanGrande

Loc.
Davis (the republic of...) near Sacramento
On my way to work yesterday, I decided to swing by the local Napa Auto parts store to pick up a few after christmas things. While in the store, someone yells that a car is on fire outside. I immediately think"that's not good, I wonder who's car it is?" then the onwer of the store runs by with a fire extinguisher and says Jon your Bronco is burning ... Oh sh!t! Luckily, the parts guys are familiar with car fires (they had a van burn there not too long ago) and we didn't open the hood (more air for the fire) and we just stuck the nozzle up under the wheel well. Turns out that a shop rag (which was in stuck next to the jack on the top of the wheel - it had been there since I had bought the rig in Sept. - I thought that it was a good idea to leave it there...) fell onto the manifold, and as it burned, it melted the hard fuel line (which I thought was melt, and actually turned out to be plastic!?#!!). I was so close to loosing the entire rig. <br><br>Well, after we put the fire out, it took about twenty minutes for me to cut out a section of the old plastic line, replace it (temporarily) with some regular fuel line, and then continued on my way to work in the Bronco. You couldn't tell that there had even been a fire unless you poped the hood and asked why it looked like it had been snowing in the engine compartment. Anyway, I consider myself very lucky that the fire didn't take the entire car (I gave the Napa guys a 12-pack of Sierra Nevada Beer for their help) or that I wasn't driving down the Freeway when this happened. The cool thing is that twenty minutes after the fire, I had the Bronco running again. My BMW wouldn't had been able to do that (then again, it probably wouldn't have caught on fire either). Thanks for listening and sorry for the long rambling post.<br><br>Jon "Honey, that car that I have been spending all that money on is gone" Clay

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
Wow, that was a close one. I have a shop rag under my hood right now that has been there about a year. I am pulling it out of there today. I am also going to start carrying a 12-pack of Sierra Nevada Beer, just in case.<br><br><br>

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
You bring up a good point about not opening your hood during a car fire unless you have a bunch of water to put on it. Iam a former fire fighter and I have been on a few car fires. We have this neat tool that I like to use on those BMWs and Saabs - its a piercing nozzel. It is just a big metal spike on a handle that is attached to a 1 1/2 inch line. You just swing it like a sledge hammer, pierce the hood, open the valve and no more fire! It is cool

67halfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Michigan
Glad to hear it at least had a good outcome and sorry to hear that it happened in the first place.

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
The piercing nozzle is really cool, we also pump Compressed air foam from our main Engine, takes down car fires in a hurry!

G

I'll burn in hell, but not in my Bronco

Used to run one of those triangular, foam element, down draft air cleaners. (No choice as I had to cut a hole in the hood for my 351C).<br>Had the engine backfire thru the carb and set the fuel soaked element on fire. Damn thing proceeded to burn and melt all over the carb. Luckily, had my halon extinguisher handy.<br>Having road raced a bit, have seen the logic of a roll cage mounted extinguisher, within reach of a belted-in driver. Make certain bracket is steel. Heard story of a driver head-on with a wall. The extinguisher flew out of the bracket and smacked his head.<br>Halon is a good choice, but not certain if it's still widely available. Something about a hole in some ozone causing cancer in penguins in Antartica.<br>For all the discussion about add-ons here, have to believe this is pretty high on the list.<br>

71bronco

Loc.
boise id
all the better reason to carry both a fire extinguisher and a twelve pack. if you need one, you'll probably need the other. i've had two engine fires, both on ford two barrels, but neither in my bronco. the first taught me to carry a fire extinguisher.........

OP
OP
J

JuanGrande

Loc.
Davis (the republic of...) near Sacramento
I probably should have bought the boys at Napa more than just one 12 pack (bought I always seem to spend all my money there...). The fire extinguisher was my first purchase for the Bronco (having owned two vw buses and had one electrical fire, I always carry a fire extinguisher). I am just happy that my Bronco is still alive to run another day.<br><br>Happy New!