• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

why is a 35x12.5-17 fifty bucks more than a 35x12.5-15??

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Been doing some research on tires
The 35x12.5-17 BFG Mud Terrains are $229
The 35x12.5-15 BFG Mud Terrains are $179

Since Both tires are the same height and width, and the 17's have a inch less rubber on the sidewall, why the hell do they charge $50 more for the 17's

To me you would think they 17's should be less money, or the same amount, but not more??

Come on BFG whats up?????????????

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well that ones simple. 17's are popular. They can charge more and people will pay.

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
You think thats bad, i bought 37x 14.50 -15 Toyo MT for the bronco found them on sale for $220 a tire normally ~$300. I liked them so I thought I would get a set of 285-75-16 for my work truck, but they wanted $345. Go figure.

slider58

Loc.
OKC, OK
Why do they charge more for a 17? Because they can. How many new pickups come with 17's?

Broncitis

MEB Founder
No, I'd have to say it's because when they introduced these new sizes they were not popular and thus needed to sell them for more to make the low volumes profitable and worth making.

There are still a lot more 15's out there on the trail than all other sizes combined.

In a few years when 17's are as common or more so, they will THEN be priced higher because they are more popular! ;D

Amac70

ME
be thankfull its only 50 bucks more. when i bought my 17's a few years back it was more then a 100 bucks more a tire.

1975SPORT

Loc.
Hood River, Oregon
Well if we would just nuke their A$$ and take the gas then the price of tires and the petroleum products to make them wouldnt be so fricken expensive.

And what broncitis said :)

Baja71

Bronco Guru
Manufacturing volume and supply & demand. They don't sell nearly the volume in 17"ers. The 15s have been around for eons and the volume is there. Another factor is that the 15" market has much more competition, which also drives the price down.

NVraider

Loc.
Elko Nevada
tires

I work in a tire shop and yes I have taken an economics class. Prices are set by the market. Popularity increases demand and the price along with it. Once supply catches up prices will come down some. A good example is flat panel tv's. In the beginning low supply high demand, high prices. Now demand is still high but supply has caught up and prices have come down. Wait untill the next big technology(some type of laser) comes out. You'll be able to pick up a 50" plasma for $5-600. A market economy is a beautiful thing.

Baja71

Bronco Guru
NVraider said:
I work in a tire shop and yes I have taken an economics class. Prices are set by the market. Popularity increases demand and the price along with it. Once supply catches up prices will come down some. A good example is flat panel tv's. In the beginning low supply high demand, high prices. Now demand is still high but supply has caught up and prices have come down. Wait untill the next big technology(some type of laser) comes out. You'll be able to pick up a 50" plasma for $5-600. A market economy is a beautiful thing.

All true, but on top of that, the manufacturer is trying to recoup the initial investment ASAP. This includes R&D, Mfg. Equipt and costs, etc. During the initial release of a product, manufacturers almost always skim the market for this reason. Once these costs are covered, the supply and demand largely dictates pricing.

45acp

Loc.
Texarkana AR
I build tires for a living (not for BFG). What do you want to know? ;D

There are a few variables as to why the 33x15 is so much cheaper than the 33x17, and i believe most were covered in this thread.

1- The 17" is built a little tougher. The beads have larger wire and are more rigid, the cord is thicker, there (probably) is a snow cap between the belts and the tread, and im sure a few other things.

2- The 15" has been around for ever. Right now you are paying for some of the R&D of the new tire.

3- Volume. You can set up several tire machines to build a 33x15 all day. Since the 33x17 is scarce, you only set up one machine and sometime during that day you change it over to another spec. When you can build 20,000 tires of one spec without ever doing a change-over vs. building 300 of the other spec then changing the machine(s) over it drives up cost. Alot.

4- Building. I can build say 300 33x12.50x15's in a 12 hour shift working hard. I can only get 270 a day on a 33x12.50x17. The machine runs slower on the 17", it pulls almost 7" more material on each tire 15 vs 17 so i also have to change out more rolls of material which takes up more time. Also, the 17" carcass is heavier than the 15" and wears me out faster.

Any other questions just ask. I may not know but i can find out. ;)

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
They're paying off the initial cost to develop and manufacture the tires. The tooling costs alone are staggering. Like said above, at the current volumes, it would take forever to pay everything off. So they have to charge more to make it worthwhile. Over on pirate4x4.com, lots of people have been asking for Interco to make, I think, a 42" TSL. Easy to ask for it, harder to produce it.