• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Why oh why doesn't someone offer a Dana 20 clocking ring?

eBronc

Loc.
Austin, Texas
Why?

Just a simple, thin, flat ring of aluminum drilled with 2 or 3 sets of bolt holes, and bored out to let the stock adapter flange fit through and into the T-case.

That's it. Nothing fancy. Keep it simple and affordable. There's a Dana 300 ring on the market that's exactly what I'm talking about, but I don't believe it's the right size or bolt pattern for a Dana 20.

It's funny - if you've a couple grand just lying around to throw at your Bronco, there are plenty of parts out there to choose from - NV4500's, Atlas II's, Klune V's, high-pinion 3rd member, etc...but if you're like most of us (actually on a real-world budget) and just want to keep the drivetrain parts you've already got and are working just fine (but move them up a little for more ground clearance)....you're SOL. %)

Chuck, Tom, Jeff...anybody listening?

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
I think the problem is the intermadiate shaft between the transfer case and the tranny . Any spacer placed between the adapter to allow clocking will shorten the shaft by an equal amount at one end or the other , depending on which end you decide to put the clocking ring on . I would be tempted to put the ring at the end of the tranny because of the splines but I don't know how much it would weaken the whole assembly .

There ...that's my .02 worth

jpoore

Loc.
San Jose, CA
Might it be easier to just modify the existing housing to allow for a rotated bolt circle?

I've got one layng outside now, I'll take a look.....

JP

tonto

Bronco Guru
jpoore said:
Might it be easier to just modify the existing housing to allow for a rotated bolt circle?

I've got one layng outside now, I'll take a look.....

JP
I’ve seen it done that way, Tim at Bronco Alley tried that once, had boss’s brazed inside so he could rotate it up, needs to be done by someone who knows how to weld/braze to cast iron, a little bit more involved that just welding some boss’s to it, not really worth it in my opinion.
I think a clocking ring would need a longer spud shaft to engage into the Dana-20, if you push the Dana-20 back off the adapter any amount you will need to take into consideration the bearing retainer location inside the intermediate housing will also move back and may not locate correctly.
I think if you figure it out though you may be able to sell a few.
Francois.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
You would also increase the front drive line angle and may cause front driveshaft clearance problems. The I dout the gain is worth the trouble because the radius arms and spring hangers will still be hanging down more that the T-case.
P.S. have you not noticed that all thing are not price on my site?
IE steering box/ frame reinforcement kit.

rflud

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Modesto, CA
Chuck - I can't even get to your site.

I get a 403 Forbidden error. This generally means that I don't have access to the directory I am trying to access on the webserver. You may want to have Dusty check into it and see what happened. Unless the site is down for maint.

- Ryan

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I had earthlink shut it off yeaterday. They say that I used 25 G of ban width last mo. and I was up to 21.9 G this mo. They are saying I am getting around 23,700 hits per day. The counter on my site shows less than 1,000. They say that I am getting that many hits, I say no matter how popular I think I am I am not getting 1000 hits per hr 24-7. Anyway I had to turn it off because my bill will be close to $1200 for this mo. at the rate.

DJM75

Loc.
Washougal
Are you going to get another website host? I go to your website probably once a month just to dream about the stuff I want to do to my Bronco.
Don

rflud

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Modesto, CA
Chuck,

Here is the host that I use for a lot of my customers. I have yet to have any trouble with their website hosting services and they don't care how much bandwith you use. They just don't allow Adult, MP3 or software download sites. Since you don't fall into this category you should be fine. It only costs $99/year

http://www.readyhosting.com/hosting.cfm

Here's the price breakdown -

http://www.readyhosting.com/signup.cfm

- Ryan

OP
OP
E

eBronc

Loc.
Austin, Texas
So close, yet so far away...

tonto said:
I’ve seen it done that way, Tim at Bronco Alley tried that once, had boss’s brazed inside so he could rotate it up, needs to be done by someone who knows how to weld/braze to cast iron, a little bit more involved that just welding some boss’s to it, not really worth it in my opinion.
I think a clocking ring would need a longer spud shaft to engage into the Dana-20, if you push the Dana-20 back off the adapter any amount you will need to take into consideration the bearing retainer location inside the intermediate housing will also move back and may not locate correctly.
I think if you figure it out though you may be able to sell a few.
Francois.

True, adding a clocking ring between the existing adapter and the T-case will move the spud shaft out of the T-case that much, but the existing spud shaft bearing inside the adapter is a press fit into a recess in the housing, and the shaft is held in place by slipping it into the bearing from the inside out until the shoulder bottoms against the bearing, then the gear slips over the splines and is held in place by an external snap ring. The only effect that adding the depth of a clocking ring (5/16" - 3/8") between the adapter and the T-case would be reducing the gear mesh of the input gear and the intermediate shaft gear inside the T-case, since the spud shaft would be moved out the width of the clocking ring.

Would reducing the gear mesh cause a durability problem? Possibly. All the torque from the transmission goes through this gear mesh in all different T-case modes, so it might be something to worry about..but then again, maybe not.

I contacted the fabricator (Go 2 Guy) of the Dana 300 clocking ring, and he verified that it will NOT fit a Dana 20..and he isin't interested in producing one that will. Guess us EB guys don't spend enough money on our rigs, or something...%)

This is one of those times I wish I had a "Smithy".