• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Why the love affair w/ super single exhaust?

OP
OP
71 LUBER

71 LUBER

Loc.
SW. Pennsylvania
I see. I thought you had 3" duals. I misread. Maybe I need to rethink going back to single 3". The 3" in, 3" out really made a difference in sound. I was running stock manifolds, so that would have been 2" into a 3" Y? I remember the muffler was 3" in/out. Maybe rethinking putting headers on into a Y and 3" in/out muffler is the way to go vs. stock manifolds. 3" definitely makes a difference in the tone.

Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for the input guys! Keep it coming if you have more.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I think my neighbors hate me...... Depending which rig I drive....

Running dual Flowmaster

csjr

Loc.
Lighthouse Point, FL
I'm very happy with my BCB shorty headers (as far as I know these are the only ones that fit with a 351W and manual tranny with the original linkage) 2 1/2" duel in to a single out Flowmaster 50 series. As others said it keeps a hot pipe away from fuel lines and pumps and I don't have to drop my pipe to change the transfer case oil. It's fairly loud but I've heard worse. Duel 40 series would scream as Madgyver has noticed, but then you save $$ on a radio--because you'll never hear it. An friend of mine had the old K Bar S duel system on his and it really sounded good especially for a bolt on system.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
I think my neighbors hate me...... Depending which rig I drive....

Running dual Flowmaster

hehe
My neighbors must hate me too, as my Bronco is the quieter of my two trucks

Attachments

• 5x8exhaust4.JPG
    5x8exhaust4.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 5x8exhaust.JPG
    5x8exhaust.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 5x8exhaust3.JPG
    5x8exhaust3.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 24

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
I just had mine done, (2) 2 1/2" to (1) 3" out to a single Magnaflow and out. My exhaust guy said it was capable of supporting around 400hp. He has always had mud racers or now he is into pulling desiel trucks so I'm pretty confident he knows what he's talking about. It cost me $300, thats from the shorty headers. He had a pretty tough job getting aroung the 351/C6/203/205 combo then going over the frame to keep it up real high. I love the sound of it, deep rumble at idle, gets louder as you get on it. I have several pics on my build thread.
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102763&page=2

David

sprinksbeme

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kingman, AZ
I'm very happy with my super single from BCB good sound at idle and cruising and makes some noise when you get on it. I bought because chuck put the test results of his system on his site so with out me being a real motor head I knew I would get the improvement I wanted. Really perked up my stock 302.
Took off 2" dual exaust.
Marty

minimatt

FWIW, Marlan Davis wrote a great piece in the Pit Stop section of the current Hot Rod magazine about exhaust theory and design. It may shed some light on the performance aspect of your questions. Or it may confuse you further...

Last edited: