• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wider Front Axle? Help

dougefresh47

Okay Im doing a complete frame off on a 69 EB and I have a question?

It seems with the wheels tires mounted to the frame (no body on, just motor) the Front axle looks to be approx. 2-3 inches wider than the rear...is this common or did I get a wrong size axle?

I swapped the original Dana 30 in the front to a dana 44 and added discs all the way around...Tires are 35s and I haven't connected the drag link or tie rod between the wheels yet.

Any recommendation on adding rear wheel spacers or should I just leave it?
Any help would be much appreciated....

Doug

OP
OP
D

dougefresh47

9225568930_412fb49033.jpg
[/url]

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
What did you get the d44 from? The full size trucks D44 is 6" wider than the stock early bronco axle (if I'm not mistaken).

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Can you get a measurement from mounting surface to mounting surface for the axle? If so, we can narrow down what you have. Also, are your wedges welded on or cast?

OP
OP
D

dougefresh47

Can you get a measurement from mounting surface to mounting surface for the axle? If so, we can narrow down what you have. Also, are your wedges welded on or cast?

Thanks K,
They are def not welded...have to be cast...I ordered the axle from Toms Bronco about 3 months back.

To the previous post....
They are def not six inches different more like 3 or less from the outer tire wall but I will measure exactly from surface to surface today and see what the difference is...

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Even if you had wider axles from a mid 70s or above F150 or FSB they wouldn't just bolt right up. You would have to do some modifications to the frame or axles.

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
as far as i know all stock 4x4 truck axles were wider in the front. never know exactly why...heard all kind of reasons, but still not sure why.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What was said above and mauve sure the wheels have the same offset ,

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Lots of cars have a wider front track. there is somewhat of a handling benefit to the wider front track. not real sure of its relationship in trucks but usually a wider front trac will help rear traction during cornering.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Its all about steering and handling - I went from a 74" WMS rear axle to a 67" WMS and the cornering difference was amazing.