• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wider than stock steel rim on a LUBR?

bsquared

Contributor
Trying to educate myself on rim choices that retain a stock look.

What I started with: Uncut, bone stock, steel rims, stock hubcaps. (7.5" x 15", right?)
Seemed the widest tires I could fit on them correctly were 235/75 R 15's (29") and that's what I have now.

When turning hard right, inner tread barely rubs the radius arms, meaning I can't go inward.

What I have now: 2" body lift, so I have a little more room to fit a wider tire into the well, but am worried it may rub on articulation. (bumps) Only planning on going up to 31's, but don't know how wide I can go with fenders uncut? Also, are there wider stock-like steel wheels so I can retain the stock hubcaps?

What I want: May go to a 2.5" suspension lift when I go EFI in the future, but want to stay uncut. May look at 33's at this point, but would like to know how wide I can go with a LUBR?

LUBR guru's that have been there, done that.....please chime in! I know this is small taters for many of you, but trying to find my options. FYI - yes, I am going to fix that exhaust! Thanks for reading, B2

Attachments

• Bronco1.jpg
    Bronco1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Rockspot.jpg
    Rockspot.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 81
  • sidepic.JPG
    sidepic.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 85
  • Hubcap.jpg
    Hubcap.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 76

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Factory rims are 15"x5.5". I was able to locate 5) 15"x6" stock wheels off of a Ford truck. I know they are 15x6s bc it is stamped on the outside. I was able to install 33x10.50 KM2s on them. I have a 3.5" SL and 2" BL, but I do have cut fenders all around. When I get back in the fall I plan to replace all 1/4s and front fenders. But even right now my tires do not rub the radius arms like your smaller tires do?? Course maybe the SL prevents that a lil bit. A 2.5" SL should get you 32s. There will be plenty of others that will comment on this. I think Shamu started a thread called "Show pics of your LUBR". That thread alone changed my whole outlook on EBs. My bronco is a LUBR in the making! Good luck!

OP
OP
bsquared

bsquared

Contributor
Thanks Gents,
Right you are JH....5.5", I had forgotten. Thanks for the info on the 15 x 6's Crawdad. Even a 1/2" would be a GOOD first step and I could get a wider tire when I go to 31's. Was hoping that someone has checked how wide it can be with 2" body lift on an uncut.

Again, all thoughts are appreciated. B2

eb-nutt1

my dad runs 31x10.5 on his 69 uncut with fresh stock height springs. no rubbing/tucks nicely when riding off-road. Don't know if they are on 15x5.5 or 6's though?

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Ok , i have a dumb question what is a lubr??? :)

Left Uncut BRonco
or
Left Uncut Bronco Enthusiast

I have 30x9.5s on mine right now. About 3-4" of clearance from the fenders. Just picked up some 15x7s with 31x10.50s and they will stick out about 1" past the fenders. Notice the clearance you have in front of the tire. You are already very close the fender, may need to move the axle back 1-2" for a bigger tire

75 Ranger

I have a 3.5" suspension lift with 15"x8" wheels that have 4" backspacing. Tires are 31x10.50 and they fit just right without rubbing, but I did roll/cut the rear fender lip to clear without worries.

OP
OP
bsquared

bsquared

Contributor
I have a 3.5" suspension lift with 15"x8" wheels that have 4" backspacing. Tires are 31x10.50 and they fit just right without rubbing, but I did roll/cut the rear fender lip to clear without worries.

Wow, that is a nice looking sled, my brother! Yep, it looks like 31 x 10.5's are in my future, as far as tires go. I'd like to stay stock steel, so that limits my ability to puff out.

Many thanks to all for your insight. 31 and 10.5 seem to be the right numbers for now. Cheers, B2

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Dont stick just with Ford wheels. Jeep and Chrysler have used 15" stock steel wheels with different widths and offsets. It just the grind trying to find what you want. Stocton Wheel will make you what ever you want but for a heafty price.

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Any compression or axle movement and they are going to hit those fenders. Same on my 10.50s. Just a little bit too wide for stock fenders

Feb_09_Lopez_Lake_4_.JPG

But if it doesnt do any crawling or seat 500lbs of people in the back it should be good

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If your planning to really cut it close just make sure you run a straight edge up from the axle flange to the fender lip and make sure the Bronco is centered. Some Broncos have been measured way off center and if yours is one of those you will have to allow for it.

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
When I get a new scanner I will post pic of my old 75 had custom 15"x !0" chrome ralleys with slotted holes and caps. It wore 32"11.50x 15" TA Mudders. It was uncut and unrolled, but had a 5.5" suspension lift. They tucked well, but I had them custom back spaced so that they were almost touching the tie rods. They did rub the radius arm a bit at full lock but as a daily driver it worked fine. Of course wheel Vintiques are here in town and I had a guy we knew who had me bring the EB down there and they put a blank with unwelded center to check how far we could get it to go...Mo in Clovis, CA

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I've had Kirk's bronco as one of my favorite "slightly cut" LUBRs. Mine will look similar in paint (Mini Cooper Peppered White). I have the same lift but will have a 2" BL to decide to keep/ remove once I get new 1/4s and fr fenders. Didn't know those were 15x8s, they look real nice around the front hubs. So jealous, looks super!