• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

wierd axle ??

oregon bronco

Loc.
milton-freewater
So I am in the process of rebuilding my D44 for the bronco, upon teardown I noticed that the passenger or long axle was way more stout than the drivers side as far as diameter goes and u-joint size. so my first thought was that someone had broken the long axle and replaced it with an aftermarket brand but the axle has spicer cast on to the yoke, so that`s out. I went to get new u-joints and had the parts guy run the numbers on the bigger u-joint and his info said it was for a 1978 axle (keep in mind this is under a 1972 and no it is not a full width lol) So wtf is going on here? I have not studied the fsb`s enough to know anything about them but it does not look like that you can swap a long axle into an EB housing or can you? I also thought that maybe someone had cut it down and resplined it but I can still see the center drill mark from when the axle was turned down. just thought I would see what you guys thought?