• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wild Child Lift off hinges

U

Unregistered

Anyone running them? How do they hold up over time?

MountainGuy

Loc.
Athens, Georgia
I too have done this "do it yourself" hinge thing and i love it. it doesn't really cost you anything unless you buy new hinges pins. Just my opinion....

TOMKLU

Loc.
San Diego, Californi
I have a set for each of my Broncos. The oldest set has been on for over 4 years, maybe longer. If you grease them when you remove and reinstall the doors you won't have a problem. I like them.

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
TexasBronco said:
You can make you own really easy
Hinge

I did this and it works really well.
Even better - I helped a friend do this mod without taking off the door or hinges. We just used a saws-all on the top part of the hinge. Worked like a charm and the doors were off in about 5 minutes! We then went about rebuilding the hinges without loosing the door alignment! Mine are next!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Was it necessary to cut the hinge Waverous? You can just pop the pin out with a hammer and punch without cutting. I've never done it while still on the vehicle so I can't say for sure, but the pins weren't that hard to get out as it was, so I would think it'd be the same?
Looks like the upper one would be pretty close to the body ridge, but that might be doable.

Paul

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
DirtDonk said:
Was it necessary to cut the hinge Waverous? You can just pop the pin out with a hammer and punch without cutting. I've never done it while still on the vehicle so I can't say for sure, but the pins weren't that hard to get out as it was, so I would think it'd be the same?
Looks like the upper one would be pretty close to the body ridge, but that might be doable.

Paul
We cut the upper third of the hinge off so it resembled a removable Jeep door setup. You do need to be careful because the blade does come close to the body. We just took a piece of thin galvanized roofing tin and tape it behind the hinge to protect the body. Doors just lift right off!

OP
OP
U

Unregistered

About seven years ago I drilled my hinges out to 1/4" an went to the local farm store and got four linch pins. The pins have a round wire loop on them that keeps them from falling off. I pull the wire loop out pull the pins down and the doors are off. It has held up great and takes only a few seconds to have the doors off...it takes longer to take the straps off. Steveworks2@aol.com