• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wild Horses 4 1/2" lift question

73EB

Loc.
Bentonville, Ar
I should have a WH 4 1/2" lift on my Bronco. I know the rear springs are 1178's which are the 4 1/2 springs. The coils I'm unsure of, and without taking them out I don't think I can ID them. Right now the bottom of the frame measures 2 3/4" higher in the back than the front. This is by measuring the edge of the frame. If my memory serves me correctly I believe a level Bronco would measure lower at the rearend opposed to the frontend.

Anyone have an idea of what the difference in height should be (approximately) for the bottom of the frame on a level Bronco? Or if someone would be so kind as to run out in the garage and measure that would awesome;D
Jeff

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don't measure to the ground if that's what you're doing. Measure from the bottom of the frame rail to the top of the axle tube.
Your front should be approximately 11.5" and the rear should be approximately 10.5" between.

There were variations in Broncos too of course, which is why those are approximations. If you're within about a half an inch to those measurements, you're in the money.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So are you looking to lower the rear, or raise the front? Lowering the rear is easy and won't cost you anything but some of your time (maybe a skinned knuckle too of course!) to remove a leaf or three.
The front is easy too, and only $150 or so for new coils.

Changing the height in either direction means checking your shocks for being the right length, but often enough the existing ones are in the ballpark.

What'cha thinking of doing?

Paul

OP
OP
73EB

73EB

Loc.
Bentonville, Ar
Definitely gonna lower the rear. I could still fit 40"s up front and I dont think i'll ever go bigger than that. Also have a slight driveline vibration I'm hoping lowering will cure. Rear driveline is so short with the C6 and doubler. I bet taking it down from 6 1/2" lift to 4 1/2 will fix that.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not sure if you've got much road/trail time on it yet; remember that the rear leaves will relax a good bit over time. I've "lost" as much as 2" (fairly heavily abused set of 11-leaf springs) but losing 1" can happen fairly rapidly and is normal..

Save those leaves you take out...;)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, lowering an EB on 40's is a novel idea.;)
But if you think they'll still fit, go for it. Definitely some better angles with less lift. And with that shorter shaft, definitely should help.

Got pics of this thing from underneath? Be interested to see the drivetrain as it's set up now.

Thanks

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, by the way, how is it loaded in the back? Losing some leaves definitely loses you some load capacity too, so something to take into account.

Paul

OP
OP
73EB

73EB

Loc.
Bentonville, Ar
Oh, by the way, how is it loaded in the back? Losing some leaves definitely loses you some load capacity too, so something to take into account.

Paul

Well I won't sit in the back so it should be fairly light in the rear.;D Just buckets back there with a light weight tool box, and hardtop of course. Running 38's now but would t put 40's on it without replacing axles. I take some pic's of the undercarriage tomorrow Paul.
Jeff