• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

wild horses 4 pass OE style radiator

tampabronco

Anybody running the wild horses OE 4 pass radiator? They also have two different offerings. Looking for feedback....worth the money? THanks in advance

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do biased users count?;);D
And do you mean the standard staggered 4-row, or the Triple-Pass version?

I had a standard 4-row and now I've got the Triple-Pass in the '68.
What are you running now, and are you having a cooling issue currently?

I will say the triple-pass would be overkill for most climates, but if you run in the heat all the time, and I'm sure your summers are hot at least, it's a good fit. I'm actually in a pretty mild climate here and I may have something wrong with a fairly new thermostat, because ever since I put it in it just barely reaches the normal operating temperature. I have to get it on the highway for awhile before it finally warms up.
Thinking it's got to be a thermostat issue, because even a super cooling radiator should allow the heat to come up.
But obviously the thing cools like a big dog.

I have a nice aluminum one for the '71, but now I'm thinking of just putting another one of these triple-pass models in and forgetting the aluminum.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And now you can wait for un-biased opinions. %)I'm sure there are other users out there.
Nothing really special about a 4-row, when a 3-row can get the job done for less money. But if your 3-row is not cutting it, there is a slight upgrade factor as long as you have a good fan and air flow that you can take advantage of the substantially more fin area, and little extra coolant volume.

The stock size cooled many thousands of Broncos for many decades. The issues arose with modifications and such that were beyond the capacity of things to overcome it. Heavily over-bored engine blocks are one area that sometimes can't be fixed by a bigger or better designed radiator.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Anybody running the wild horses OE 4 pass radiator? They also have two different offerings. Looking for feedback....worth the money? THanks in advance

most of our vendors carry quality products.. someone I'm sure on here has used it and can provide first hand experience

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You want go wrong with this rad from WH, https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/WH_Staggered_4Core_Radiator/Bronco_Radiators
I have installed 2 of them, 1 in a 73 and 1 in a 76, both have worked great an no problems with leaks. I have a Champion AL on my 76, this is the 3rd one, they last about 2 yrs then develop a leak, yes I have it grounded, but I will say they stand behind their product, they have always sent me a new one. However I will go with the WH the next time I need a new rad.

OP
OP
tampabronco

tampabronco

I should have given more info

I've got a stock 302 in a mall crawler with 2.5 suspension lift. IT's the OE radiator (i think) anddI've had some rust and corrosion issues needing to flush out every year. I changed the thermostat but still get to 195 + in traffic. I plan on taking a few trips this year

Sounds like the 4 pass is overkill for my needs. No problems getting something cheaper

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
From what I've seen the 4-core conversions like to start leaking after about a year. For a stock motor the stock radiator with a shroud should be fine. The best option I've found are the bc radiators. I just run their standard 3-core with beefier internals than stock. They keep my 351s cool in LA traffic. They also offer a triple pass if you need more. I'm not a fan of the aluminum radiators. Too brittle and corrode way too easy if your not a fanatic about proper coolant .