• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wild Horses EFI specific tank

bob_lafrentz

Loc.
Cody, WY
Hi all,

Has anyone installed one of these yet? What are your thoughts? I like the idea of an intank pump so you don't have to deal with multiple pumps or accumulators. This should also eliminate the over heating pump issues.

Has anyone installed the Wild Horses standard 23 gallon tank? How is it for ground clearance on the trail? It looks like the EFI tank is the same design as their standard 23 gal. tank. I know most think the BC Broncos 24 gal. tank is ideal for clearance and tucking it out of the way, but I think the in-tank pump design of the WH may offset that. Any thoughts?

...Chuck: Do you forsee any intank pump designs in the future?

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
bob_lafrentz said:
...Chuck: Do you forsee any intank pump designs in the future?
Funny you should ask. I think the Acc/filter setup works great. But I am redesigning the tank anyway and will be including the intank pump option including the EFI baffling. The funny part? I just O.K.ed the shop to make the prototype tank last night.

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
I installed their 23 gal tank. it is the NWMP tank (that is what the sticker said) good solid tank and install was easy.

Not to hijack but is there an in-tank pump that can be put into the non-EFI tank (they do seem to look the same)??

OP
OP
bob_lafrentz

bob_lafrentz

Loc.
Cody, WY
Chuck,

Will that new EFI tank mount and tuck up between the frame rails the same as your standard 24 gal tank? Will it have a fuel level sending unit that will work with the stock fuel guage? How soon till the average joe can buy one?

Thanks.

72_EB

66to77
bluebroncodrive,

Looks great. What kind of fuel lines are you using? That all looks really good. I'm using a donor '90 Mustang and toying with using the Mustang parts too. Thanks!

bluebroncodrive said:

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
I run the WH EFI tank with my 5.8SEFI. It's a NWMP 23gal tank with an extra hole and some baffles for the pump. The kit comes with what looks like a regular 'stang in-tank pump along with some plumbing. The plumbing consists of a mounting plate with some tubes welded to it for supply and return and a place to mount the pump. You can hear the pump whirring when running which isn't too bad cuz then you know it's working. I carry an external electric pump as a spare because I would rather splice that into a fuel line than drop the tank on the trail, especially if full.

Gil
GDDYAP

OP
OP
bob_lafrentz

bob_lafrentz

Loc.
Cody, WY
GDDYAP: What is your general impression of this set up? Do you like it better than the external pump setups? Have you taken it on any crazy angles yet?

Have you seen the BC tank before? If so, how do clearance issues compare between the two tanks? Thanks.

72bronco

Bronco Guru
77BroncoWag said:
I thought you could use the current BC tank for efi???????

You can, but you then need to run an external fuel pump. The most common configuration for EFI is using a low pressure pump, a high pressure pump, and a fuel accumulator. Some guys seem to get by without the accumulator and some even run just a single high pressure pump. But in general most guys seem to be using the above setup. Either way, you can still use the current BC tank with EFI so long as you configure everything correctly.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
77BroncoWag said:
I thought you could use the current BC tank for efi???????
You can. I run a BC tank with a single high pressure pump mounted on the frame which works great.

Attachments

• IndependanceWknd_05_04.jpg
    IndependanceWknd_05_04.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
SaddleUp said:
You can. I run a BC tank with a single high pressure pump mounted on the frame which works great.

whoooooo got scared for a sec

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
I've had if for a few years now and haven't had any problems with it. Nothing like fuel starvation. I got real tipsy a couple months ago in Moab and almost put it on it's side. Engine kept running the whole time. I think it makes for a cleaner install compared to using two external pumps with an accumulator. But like I said, I carry a spare external for trail repairs because it would be a pain to drop the tank especially when full. I've only seen pictures of the BC tank. You could probably adapt a BC tank for an intank pump but adding a hole and some baffles. You could use the fuel pump and plumbing from a 'stang. Just have to make sure it reaches far enough down. Getting the WH EFI tank was kind of an impulse buy. I was gathering parts for the EFI swap and drove to WH to get the regular 23gal tank and some other stuff. The sales guy said they just got in a new intank pump setup for EFI and showed me the first and only one they had. I was ready to do the dual external pumps but pulled the trigger on the intank instead. He had just taken me on a tour of the shop so I was a little overwhelmed by all the Bronconess. Kind of sneaky on the sales guys' part but I didn't mind.

Gil
GDDYAP

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
gddyap said:
But like I said, I carry a spare external for trail repairs because it would be a pain to drop the tank especially when full.
Gil
GDDYAP

So Gil,
You are going to have a dead intank pump, and then you are going to hook up an external pump, and try to draw fuel through the dead pump?
I am not sure, but are you going to be able to get enough fuel (pressure and volume) to have the rig run at all?

I have the WH tank with the stock Mustang Pump (confirmed this by checking numbers) it has worked well. The pump is loud though, the only thing that sucks is that it is set up for a stock, non lifted body. I had to put spacers on mine for the 2 inch body lift I put on after installing the tank. BC tank has a better mounting design with adjustable rail on side.

My .02

Doug

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
That was my intent. I never said I thought it through completely :p. I bought the external recently before heading to Moab. My Heep friend did an EFI swap on his CJ with an external pump. I figured we could both use it as a spare. I haven't actually tried to suck fuel through a non-operating in-tank pump. I suppose it is something I could try this winter during the next round of modifications. If I was broken on the trail and it didn't work, then I would try some fuel line in through the filler neck. Might be tough for the pump to prime itself in that situation but possible.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
gddyap said:
That was my intent. I never said I thought it through completely :p. I bought the external recently before heading to Moab. My Heep friend did an EFI swap on his CJ with an external pump. I figured we could both use it as a spare. I haven't actually tried to suck fuel through a non-operating in-tank pump. I suppose it is something I could try this winter during the next round of modifications. If I was broken on the trail and it didn't work, then I would try some fuel line in through the filler neck. Might be tough for the pump to prime itself in that situation but possible.

Good to see that you have a plan and some options thought out...

Those intank pumps should run for 100K miles, as long as you do not run them dry or run some junk through them. Yes, dropping a full tank to change a pump sucks. I have thought about puting an access door in the bed floor? The PO modified the floor for the "aborted" factory tank he put in.

Doug

heylouie00

Gil,

I've been giving some thought to the in-tank pump recently, especially since I recently had a low fuel, pressurized tank, venting problem...

Is it possible to add a hose to either an unused port or the return line to make it go to the bottom of the tank? Then if you needed to use it for a trail fix you could hook the external pump up to the port with the line & maybe just return through a vent line or something?

I'm not sure what's available, but it might just get you off the trail if you find you cant pull fuel through the dead in-tank pump.

--Craig

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
904Bronco said:
So Gil,
You are going to have a dead intank pump, and then you are going to hook up an external pump, and try to draw fuel through the dead pump?
I am not sure, but are you going to be able to get enough fuel (pressure and volume) to have the rig run at all?

I have the WH tank with the stock Mustang Pump (confirmed this by checking numbers) it has worked well. The pump is loud though, the only thing that sucks is that it is set up for a stock, non lifted body. I had to put spacers on mine for the 2 inch body lift I put on after installing the tank. BC tank has a better mounting design with adjustable rail on side.

My .02

Doug
When I first installed my EFI I put a low pressure pump next to the tank and then the high pressure on the frame near the tank switch. I never did end up running the low pressure pump but it was dead in the line for several months before I finally removed it. Not sure if an in tank pump would work the same but there is a good chance it will.

Okay now to get everyone thinking I have a question. What advantage is there to running an in tank pump instead of an external one? The only thing I can think of is that it makes it harder to change it if it goes out. Every other arguement I've heard I have already proven to be myth on 2 different rigs running 2 different external high pressure pumps. Even the claim that the pump needs to be next to the tank I've proven wrong since both of them are mounted further up the frame.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Okay now to get everyone thinking I have a question. What advantage is there to running an in tank pump instead of an external one? The only thing I can think of is that it makes it harder to change it if it goes out. Every other arguement I've heard I have already proven to be myth on 2 different rigs running 2 different external high pressure pumps. Even the claim that the pump needs to be next to the tank I've proven wrong since both of them are mounted further up the frame.[/QUOTE]

I would venture a guess and say that it is personal preference. The subject has been debated before... I have seen rigs both ways and this includes late model Mustangs that run on the track. It seemed to me that an in-the-tank-pump was a clean installation. Would it be a pain in the butt to chamge on the trail, you bet! A frame mount would be easy to change. I guess I am banking on my experience, and the in tank pumps have worked well and a long time. I am sure that there are others who have had different experiences and they would go the different route. Whatever works...

Doug