• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Will Fox Body Mustang Headers Fit ?

gsmalley

Like it says. I have a 69, 302, manual trans, with a cracked exhaust manifold. Can pick up a pair of stock fox body mustang headers cheap. Will they fit ?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The passenger side dumps out on top of the frame a few inches above it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Like said, nope.
But that doesn't mean that some have not tried and even succeeded. But the successes have all involved one of two things. A very able and willing exhaust shop able to totally kink the tube as it exits the header to avoid the frame rail, OR, a willingness to cut, bend, tweak or otherwise modify the header to fit.
Most don't find those viable options, so go for the more expensive Bronco-specific headers.

If you have a 351 instead of a 302, the kink is less tight because the headers sit a little higher.

There are actually some Mustang, or truck headers from the big manufacturers (I think Hooker has some) that can be fitted as-is, but I don't know which ones they are.

Good luck.
Cheap is good of course, but cheap ain't always cheap if you have to pay someone to do all the tweaking.

Paul

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great line about "cheap", Paul! One of the biggest money pits I ever bought was a "cheap" boat!

Timstrk

I've been running the Fox body headers that don't fit for years. Yes, they fit. Yes, they have to massaged.

suckerpunched

I modified the right one by cutting the flange off and welding in a small pie shaped piece of a madrel bent 3" tube to make it exit abouve and roughly parallel to the frame rail. was pretty easy.

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
All you have to do is use a couple sections of tubing donuts, and there will be no kinks at all.

agboy91

Loc.
Bishop, GA
I am running them on my 5.0 with P heads. My exhaust guy did a good job fitting them up and I haven't burnt any plug wires yet. They are not ideal but they work. I have 4 flat washers between my engine and Mount for some extra room.

fablife

a few do fit with automatic tranny's, most driver side will hit the block and need grinding/ pass side will need some exhaust working. I haven't found any that work with manual trannys. good luck!

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
A lot of them exit very close to the frame rail so to run them you'd need to modify the passenger side header. These were a set of MAC equal length shorty headers.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1464739225597.jpg
    FB_IMG_1464739225597.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 82