• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

will not start, spinning noise

rfleeman

A week ago i drove my bronco about 25 miles and everything was working great. Even seemed like it was shifting into second better than normal. Got home and turned it off, tried to start it 5 minutes later and it wouldnt and there was a spinning noise under the truck. Replaced the started solenoid today and that didn't change anything. What else should I be looking at? Thanks in advance

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
go rap on the starter with a hammer and try to start it again. Bendix is shot in it probably. Since you could hear it spinning it definatly ant the solenoid cause you can hear it getting power.

OP
OP
rfleeman

rfleeman

Haven't pulled it out yet. Going to try in the morning. Just thought beating on things with a hammer only work on tv. Thanks for the advice!

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
try beating on it before you pull it. Sometimes thats a quick solution if your stuck away from home. It not only works on tv's but also starters and fuel pumps too

BRONCO26

Loc.
SENOIA
If it is the starter replace it with a late model 5.0 starter you will not regret it I did mine 1 yr ago and should have done it sooner

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Yup, sounds like the starter is the culprit here. Actually, how old is the starter????

Either way, good place to start looking. Good Luck getting it up and running.