• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Will original valve covers work on a 1989 5.0 roller engine?

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I have a 1989 5.0 roller motor. I have the valve covers that came on that motor when I rebuilt it. I am having some clearance issues with the oil fill cap on the drivers side (see pic). I was wondering if the original Bronco 302 valve covers will clear the valves on the newer engines.
I appreciate the help once again! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_3276.jpg
    IMG_3276.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 80

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don't know the answer, but what is the engine out of? Kind of an unusual valve cover it seems. More often than not we see the oil fill on the passenger side front, with the fresh-air return to the throttle body directly via a much smaller hose barb/nipple thingy.

Yours almost looks like it's from a carbureted, or maybe a speed-density engine originally. What are you doing now? Carburetor, or TBI injection?
Where does the PCV valve fit into this engine, and what does the other valve cover look like?

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Thanks for the reply! I was told the engine came out of a Crown Vic or a Mustang. I bought it from a guy who had a couple low mile engines in his garage. It was a fuel injected roller motor that I converted to carb, the tube on top of the filler is a cold air intake that I am currently working on fabbing up. I never thought about swapping the valve cover to the other side, that would be too simple!
Here is a couple of pics of the rest of the air intake I am making so you can see what the whole thing looks like. I am waiting on another coupler and the cone filter so I can figure out where to cut the tube and install the filter.

Attachments

• IMG_3274.jpg
    IMG_3274.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3275.jpg
    IMG_3275.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 39

Eoth

Bronco Guru
I took the aftermarket ""Bronco powered by Ford" valve covers off of my 302 and installed them on my 2000 stock Explorer 5.0 with no problems (needed to due to removing the EFI and installing a carb). If I recall correctly some have an interference issue with the baffle.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I appreciate the help! I will pull the valve cover and see it the old one fits, if not I will just swap sides.
Thank you!

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Those look like truck EFI valve covers. I think a set of Mustang or similar 5.0 covers would probably solve your problem nicely.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I will check out the salvage yard this weekend.

Thanks for the help!