• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Will this crack?

kuch68

Loc.
Waterford, MI
This one is for the off roading body guys....

My goal is to have a good looking rig that I can take on the easy - medium off road trails. Good articulation and fun but low risk. My question is about the tail light housing I am replacing. I welded in the good section from my old housing that holds the tail light. I tried to keep the bead around the edges small and short and I haven't warped the metal so far. My question is, I have grinded the welds down and would like to do just enough skim coat of dura glass to blend everything nicely. The angle grinder obviously put slight flat spots and wavy sections in the panel.

Will this crack from body movement while off roading? If so, is there any fillers that would be less likely to crack?

here are the pictures

thanks

Attachments

• Large_IMG_2154.jpg
    Large_IMG_2154.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 99
  • Large_IMG_2155.jpg
    Large_IMG_2155.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 49
  • Large_IMG_2156.jpg
    Large_IMG_2156.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 67

I wouldn't think so, looks like a nice weld job. Just try and get it as smooth as possible first, then use as little as possible of the bondo.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Looks good but I am no expert
Talk to 2badrotties, he is the man when it is bodywork and Broncos.
TOFIC

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
if you feel the tacks are ground low enough that it might crack, i'd suggest tacking it periodicly from the back, go every couple inches. that will take care of it.
looks like you did a good job merging the two panels together. a good skim coat after you weld it in place you should be set. don't forget to seal the back of the panel with something to stop the rust from starting...

nick

Scott M

Loc.
Baltimore
Agree w/ Nickstrix

why not just weld it from the back sid eof the panel, then, who cares what it looks like.

OP
OP
K

kuch68

Loc.
Waterford, MI
I did weld it from the back side of the panel, and I welded the front side of the panel to blend the gaps without using a lot of body filler. I am not conercerned about the weld cracking, my concern is more with the body filler cracking out under body movement from off-roading. Has anyone ever heard of this?

thanks for the help.

OP
OP
K

kuch68

Loc.
Waterford, MI
I am not even putting the stock spare tire carry on again. So that shouldn't be an issue. Thanks for the help guys. I will skim coat it and hope for the best