• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wimbleton white powder coat

fvb100

I have read some older threads about the Wimbleton white powder coat match.

Some mentioned the Cardinal powder T009 BG-01 Almond as the best match.

Is this still considered the best option? Does anyone have pictures it on their parts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
My 71 dash/door panels...

Make sure all your prep (metal) work is done well or it will show.

Attachments

• DSCN4004.jpg
    DSCN4004.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_20170626_084945379.jpg
    IMG_20170626_084945379.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_20161026_210901104_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20161026_210901104_HDR.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 145
OP
OP
fvb100

fvb100

That looks great. Powder coated with the T009 BG-01 Almond?

1970 Palmer

Just a consideration when considering powder coat.

I use color matched powder coat, and single stage PPG paint on my restored vintage trailers. Basically anything that will unbolt, I have powder coated, then I spray the frame tongue with a quality single stage automotive paint. The trailers sit outside 365 days a year. The powder coat "chalks" after 2-3 years, the automotive paint looks like new after the same time, with the same exposure.

I doubt you would have a durability problem using powder coat on a dash, but I would not recommend it on a roof, or a grill for the UV issue, if it get any exposure.

John

OP
OP
fvb100

fvb100

Just a consideration when considering powder coat.

I use color matched powder coat, and single stage PPG paint on my restored vintage trailers. Basically anything that will unbolt, I have powder coated, then I spray the frame tongue with a quality single stage automotive paint. The trailers sit outside 365 days a year. The powder coat "chalks" after 2-3 years, the automotive paint looks like new after the same time, with the same exposure.

I doubt you would have a durability problem using powder coat on a dash, but I would not recommend it on a roof, or a grill for the UV issue, if it get any exposure.

John

Thanks John. I still think powdercoat on wheels is the way to go.

chuckyb

Contributor
The guy that did my powdercoating looked at the Almond but then suggested I go with RAL 1013 Oyster. We went with the oyster on wheels and cage. It is a small tinge darker than the Wimbledon white on my roof but I’m happy with it. Check last couple of pages on my build thread below for pictures

House

Minutia Militia
1970 Palmer said:
The powder coat "chalks" after 2-3 years, the automotive paint looks like new after the same time, with the same exposure.

My guess is your powdercoater isn’t putting clear over the color...?

69_Sport

FYI - The dashes originally painted white were actually Parchment, not the same color as the Wimbledon White on the exterior. I know. Nobody cares...��

1970 Palmer

My guess is your powdercoater isn’t putting clear over the color...?

Thanks for the heads up.

No, it did not have a clear top coat. I have never had any luck with the powder coat clear coats, they become "too thick" and "crack around any place that is bolted down".

Someone else told me they make two different kinds of powder material. One is polyester based, and one is a urethane/epoxy, or something like that. One of them is supposed to be UV safe?

In general, I have had very good luck with powder coating, but then I do not live in any of the road salt areas.

John

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
FYI - The dashes originally painted white were actually Parchment, not the same color as the Wimbledon White on the exterior. I know. Nobody cares...��

You are correct... But the colors are interchanged so often that people get confused.

To clarify my own post, the Almond color is closer to parchment than WW. It is supposed to be almost a satin, but generally comes out a semi glass with PC. That has been my experience.

OP
OP
fvb100

fvb100

You are correct... But the colors are interchanged so often that people get confused.

To clarify my own post, the Almond color is closer to parchment than WW. It is supposed to be almost a satin, but generally comes out a semi glass with PC. That has been my experience.

Thanks for pointing this out. I keep staring at these colors and kept thinking the Almond looks much more like parchment then WW. What about the Oyster white RAL 1013 color?

Last edited:

chuckyb

Contributor
I keep staring at these colors and kept thinking the Almond looks much more like parchment then WW. What about the Oyster white RAL 1013 color?

This might be the best way I can contrast the colors. Picture 1 is RAL 1013 Oyster on cage with the Wimbledon White roof behind it. Picture 2 is RAL 1013 Oyster on cage with Parchment dash behind it. I used a halogen lamp for lighting in both pictures. Again, the oyster is definitely a bit darker than WW.

Attachments

• 5A64FE92-876E-4DC5-B8C7-6B95D3A7225C.jpg
    5A64FE92-876E-4DC5-B8C7-6B95D3A7225C.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 96
  • D1FBD1C6-41B9-4D20-B5FF-75978B654331.jpg
    D1FBD1C6-41B9-4D20-B5FF-75978B654331.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 97

papy

Contributor
i saved this note from another post going back bout 5 years.

not sure who's post it was but here you go word for word.

"btw i posted a pic of a wheel powder-coated with power coat by the pounds RAL 9001, extremely close to Wimbledon white"

i have no experience with this code so let us know what you find.
good luck

OP
OP
fvb100

fvb100

I keep staring at these colors and kept thinking the Almond looks much more like parchment then WW. What about the Oyster white RAL 1013 color?

This might be the best way I can contrast the colors. Picture 1 is RAL 1013 Oyster on cage with the Wimbledon White roof behind it. Picture 2 is RAL 1013 Oyster on cage with Parchment dash behind it. I used a halogen lamp for lighting in both pictures. Again, the oyster is definitely a bit darker than WW.

Thanks, this clears up a lot.

The cardinal Almond definitely looks more like your parchment dash. RAL 1013 comes close to WW in my opinion.

OP
OP
fvb100

fvb100

1keN9Zj.jpg

kKCzZbF.jpg

OP
OP
fvb100

fvb100

I will probably go with the RAL 9001 for my wheels.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No, it did not have a clear top coat. I have never had any luck with the powder coat clear coats, they become "too thick" and "crack around any place that is bolted down".

Yes, very finicky when they start going with more than one layer. We've done up to three and four, but only on very specific types of parts. Most automotive stuff does not like thick powder.

Someone else told me they make two different kinds of powder material. One is polyester based, and one is a urethane/epoxy, or something like that. One of them is supposed to be UV safe?

More than that. There are as many, or almost as many types of powder paint as there are liquid paint types. The Epoxies have many great properties and get used a lot. Unfortunately they are very low on the UV resistance side and chalk up quickly. In a sunny climate you're lucky to get two years out of it as a top coat.
It's used as a primer, or as a top coat where it will not be in direct sunlight.

There are Kynars and urethanes which are probably what is used on metal roofing and such, but there are probably companies out there that go cheap which might be why you see chalked up metal roofs too, after less than ten years in the sun.
And there are just as many clear coat powders as there are liquids, and just as hard to choose which one you like and which one is best for your application. Some of them yellow with time, and some of them yellow as they're cured. Others go on purely clear which seems kind of amazing when it happens, but they work well.
Just stay away from epoxies as anything but a primer or an out of the sun coating.

At least that's how I remember that stuff. Been a very long time and I don't remember it all.
Remember MtFit's red buggy? That was entirely powder coated from the bumpers and frame, to the Hummer wheels and body panels. Even the aluminum panels got clear coated and the exhaust was ceramic coated. The original owner ran a powder coating shop, so it got the full treatment and was looking pretty good twenty years later.
And if any of it did get a little dull it can be polished up just like regular paint. But I don't remember seeing any chalking or deterioration in the few pics we saw here after the member bought it and started wheeling it.

Paul