• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Winch Kill Switch

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
Wats up my Bronco brothers. Finally got myself a Warn M8000. My friend was telling me to get a kill switch for the winch just to be on the safe side, so i decided to do some info on it. Seems like the winch is always on even when the car is off :confused:. So my question is how many of you guys are running a kill switch for your winch? I read that i need at least a 450 amp continuous kill switch to not fry the switch. Is that right? Brands and diagrams would be much appreciated. Also I'm open to other ideas as well.
Kev

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

76MaBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Massachusetts
I know that I needed one when I was winching the Explorer carcass down my driveway...it started to roll towards me and up on top of the winch...some smoke was let out of the wires. If I had a breaker in line, it would have popped and saved the wiring...Look for 12V resetable circuit breakers. Take a look at the max draw fro the winch. 450 amps seems really high.

Here's one type I'm planning on adding this winter.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300-amp-12-Volt-CAR-HIGH-CURRENT-Circuit-Breaker-82-300-/110828046813?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cdddc9dd

OP
OP
SSDDBRONCO

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
Thanks for the help. Viperwolf how exactly did you hook it up? My battery doesn't have extra room like that for an extra terminal know what i mean? A pic would help a lot.
Thanks

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
My battery has dual terminals. One set is used as usual for the engine and in cab stuff. The other is used just for the winch power.

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
What a great thread. I never really thought of that scenario. I changed out the stock wire (6-8awg?) to 00. If I had a solenoid failure and the winch kept winching it would cause a major issues. I would not trust reset-able circuit breakers. Those get weaker over time and blow more easy (personal experience, your mileage may differ).

I found this switch while google'n it

Blue Sea 3002 HD-Series Battery Switch
Cranking Rating: 10 sec. 2,750 Amps
Cranking Rating: 1 min. 1,150 Amps
Intermittent Rating: 5 min. 700 Amps
Continuous Amperage 500 Amps

attachment.php

Question: Where do you locate such a switch? If you are doing a pull and the power sticks on can you get under the hood fast enough to prevent problems? I hate adding long wires (higher amp draws) to locate in cab or something.

OP
OP
SSDDBRONCO

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles

Holy shit that sucks!! That switch that you put up is pretty nice, gonna have to check out how much it is. There is a video on YouTube the guy is using his back winch and the in on the winch got stuck and they couldn't do nothing so the winch pretty much exploded. I will link it in a little.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
kill switch? why? my Warn 8000i is 12 years old and has never needed to be disconnected and has never failed and it doesn't drain the battery. when the controller is unplugged the winch's electric motor is static drawing no current. my winch cables to the battery are connected to these type terminals so I guess they could be disconnected quickly but why? kill switch = overkill
my $.02

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...attery-terminal/_/N-255s?itemIdentifier=95967

OP
OP
SSDDBRONCO

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
kill switch? why? my Warn 8000i is 12 years old and has never needed to be disconnected and has never failed and it doesn't drain the battery. when the controller is unplugged the winch's electric motor is static drawing no current. my winch cables to the battery are connected to these type terminals so I guess they could be disconnected quickly but why? kill switch = overkill
my $.02

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...attery-terminal/_/N-255s?itemIdentifier=95967

It's more of a safety feature.

Ranchtruck

You could always have your winch fed through a plug like this:
ballistic-performance-evo2-battery-quick-disconnect-kit.jpg

I got mine off an electric forklift, they used them to connect the battery racks. I use a portable winch in the receiver hitch so I've got a connector mounted under the back of my truck.