• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Window frame removal (Door)

Bigbird

Anyone around here ever remove their window frames off their doors on a "Non-removeable" door? I like the look of the frameless door but I don't want to shell out the cash on a new set of doors. I know any jackwagon with a sawzall can cut them off but can this be done and not have it look like crap?

bronc50

Yup
dremel cut off wheel
Drill spot welds
And a lot of patients
Gets them off and also can be bolted back on

jcpetrson

Are you sure you want to do that in Upstate NewYork? Isn't Spring, Summer and Fall, June, July, August?

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Quite a few of us here in So Cal do it. Gut the door, shave the handle, weld a strip into the window slot. It's very light and a nice way to go for a fair weather rig.

gollott73

Loc.
biloxi
Very easy to do with a dremel. Drill out the spot welds on the door. Use the cutting wheel to cut the welds at the frame. I spent about 30 minutes on each door. I used the frames for a short period of time. I opted for the removable soft uppers. They don't seal as well as the metal frames but overall I like them better.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 187

junebug

Who sells the upper half soft doors? And are they compatible with the old K-line soft top?

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
Bigbird

Bigbird

Are you sure you want to do that in Upstate NewYork? Isn't Spring, Summer and Fall, June, July, August?

LOL, I don't plan on driving my Bronco in the winter months. Hell, I don't even plan on driving it in the rain either! ;D

Hurseyc

Loc.
Waterloo, IL
I've been wondering about the window frames on my '69 for a while. I have bolts but had never looked at another bronco to see how they were setup. But sure enough when the bolts are out the window frames slide up. Must be 68 doors or modified like the thread talks about.

I only got as far as taking them loose though bc it feels like something in the vent window is still hanging on and I didn't want to yank too hard and break something.

So, for those that have done it, do you just keep pulling on the frame or is there more to unhook to get the vent window parts loose?

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Very easy to do with a dremel. Drill out the spot welds on the door. Use the cutting wheel to cut the welds at the frame. I spent about 30 minutes on each door. I used the frames for a short period of time. I opted for the removable soft uppers. They don't seal as well as the metal frames but overall I like them better.

Nice Bronco! Gonna have to subscribe to this thread because I might be into those romovable soft windows as well. My truck don't see rain either if I can help it! :cool:

OP
OP
Bigbird

Bigbird

I'll probally start this task in March when I return from deployment. My mind just races about my Bronco resto-mod while I'm away. I'll take some pics of my progress. If anyone else has any close up or step by step pics please post up!!!

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Anyone have any photos or a more comprehensive "how-to" for this mod?

Thanks!

broncomatt

I got frustrated one day and took a cut off wheel to the frames. I left the part over the vent window and cut off flush with the door. Looks just like the 66-68 style. After having done it I feel I can reattach them with out much work. I do plan on using an old set of soft doors to make the uppers fit insted of the glass. Mostly cause I have 2 sets of doors to work with. One set stock, one with soft door tops. I will fill in the gap where the glass came out other than the holes to slide the windows in. They are very bendable so I think they will seal on my soft top. If you realy want a pic of what they look cut off I can snap one.
Oh by the way, the glass wont fall out. But if your felt is worn or there is play in the rollers they will tilt backwards. The secret is to just drop them down a small bit and it doesnt happen.