• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Window frame removal

Docmace

Loc.
Lafayette, LA
I used the search key to find a step by step instructional post with pics on how to remove welded window frames. I couldn't find anything. I found a few non-specific posts but I really need something more step-by-step. I've got only one set of doors so there will be no practice runs. I was about to get out my hacksaw and go to town but I've learned, from this forum, not to do that. Also, I have no intention of ever putting the frames back on once I get them off. And I'd like to leave the vents in place to support the windshield.

Has anyone done this mod and have instructions/pics? Thanks.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Also, I have no intention of ever putting the frames back on once I get them off. And I'd like to leave the vents in place to support the windshield.
Has anyone done this mod and have instructions/pics? Thanks.

Never done it. Since you are not trying to save them the hack saw method will work in this case. make a nice straight cut at the back for the door and a nice straight cut at the wing window. You can then grind it even and weld or bondo in what you need to make it look finished. I could be wrong but this is not the kind of thing with step by step instructions. Take your time. Post your pics.

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
Like WH said: if you NEVER plan to put them back on, you're probably OK just cutting them off as described. That's how my first EB was done, then welded some 1/8" x 1" steel onto the cutoff frame parts so that they could be screwed back in place; it sort of worked, but never sealed tight. If you aren't worried about that, then cut away!

Worst case, if you change your mind, you can drill out the spot welds holding the vent & remaining "leg" in place on the door, order some new window frames from a vendor, and replace them altogether. That wasn't an option not too long ago.

Last edited: