• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Window removal?

Bronco69Sport

Loc.
Upper MI
I broke my passenger side window the other day, and was wondering how the window's are removed. I have a donor door, and have taken off the inside panel, and exposed the window itself but it appears it is sitting in a rubber gasket type thing with metal pinched on... How is this removed to get the glass out? Also, does it matter mine has removable frames, and the donor door does not, or are they the same window wise??? Thanks, its getting cold up here!!!

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I don't think the frames matter the windows should be the same. To get the window out of the door. Loosen the bolts that hold the lower tracks in place and. Lower the window 1/2 way, remove the clip that holds the regulator roller on and remove the regulator arm from the window. Slip the window from the tracks take it out through the top of the door in one piece. If the anti-rattle felts at the top of the door are in good shape remove them too so the window will come out easier and so you don't ruin them. If you have the complete window with the lower metal channel just swap the whole thing. dont waste your time trying to get just the glass.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Where'd you get your replacement glass from? I broke my pass window this weekend and put in a claim with my insurance company. Taking them about a week (Safelite) to locate the glass.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
I had a glass shop make a windshield for a dune buggy. Flat glass, I don't see there would be any difference. They cut it right there from their stock inventory.

OP
OP
Bronco69Sport

Bronco69Sport

Loc.
Upper MI
Sounds good, thanks for the replies.
I got my glass from a buddy's stock pile of doors. Didn't want to deal with insurance, and possibly have rates increase for a part I have.

OP
OP
Bronco69Sport

Bronco69Sport

Loc.
Upper MI
Well, I have the donor door apart, and I am not seeing how the glass will slide out with the top of the window frame being in the way... On mine I can take it right off but on the stationary ones on the newer doors I don't see how it would come out. Also, the wound up metal that works the window crank, how does that get removed? Thanks,

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
You don't need to remove the regulator. Just take the window and lower metal runner that the glass is mounted in loose from the regulator and turn it sideways up and it will come out thru the top of the door. The anti rattle felts may have to be removed along the top of the door for the window and metal runner to come out.