• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Windsheild Support and upper cowl Rust

spray1963

Loc.
Boca Raton,FL
Hi everyone, after a 25 year break in owning an EB my 17 year old son has beaten me into submission and convinced me to acquire a 73 302 NP435 equipped EB from Arizona as his first car. The condition was that we would fix it correctly before it hits the road/trail.
I bought this with out personally seeing it and had it shipped from out west to South Florida, a lot of photos and facetime video calls were made showing me all of the areas I new could have issues. I am very happy with the overall condition of the body for the price we paid. The motor is at the machine shop now for a complete rebuild and we are in the process of removing the body.

The one area of rust that I have to address is the windshield support and the upper cowl panels. I have the parts already and my body shops buddies are going to do the replacement and eventual paint work. Having had a 68 that my dad bought new, and then I resurrected when I started driving in the late seventies, I know one of the biggest areas of rust in the EB is the windshield/cowl connection because the design creates a space for water to sit between the WS support on the upper cowl. What I am thinking of doing, and am curious to find out if anyone else has done after doing this repair, is to fill this void between the WS support and the upper cowl with a epoxy based filler. I would seal one end of this area and then tilt the truck to one side and inject the very thin slow cure epoxy to completely fill the void.

Looking for any feedback on this idea!

Here' what we started with...

Bronco_zpsc5b6e258.jpg~c100

Better Pics coming

Thanks,
Scott