• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Windshield Frame? (2bad I need help)

whitsend

Loc.
Boyne City, MI.
I am still in the process of removing the windshield frame. What a pain in the yak-ta-bey! I understand that it is welded along the hinge but some of the hinge is rusted so badly that I cannot tell where the spot welds are. Is there any other way to remove? I tried an air chisel but do not want to damage the other metal it is welded to.

Also, when I prep for the new windshield do I paint the metal the hinge gets welded to first. I know I need clean metal to weld to so how do I go about making this as rust proof as possible? Thanks Dan?:?

welndmn

Bronco Guru
Use a strong wire wheel and keep cleaning, you will see the spot welds, I forget how many, but they are somehting like 1 inch apart.
When I pulled mine, I did not weld it back in, just sunk some nuts (Name of those nuts escapes me) and used allen head bolts to hold the hingh to the body

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
The welds are there for sure. Some are a little hard to find. Like you were told, wire wheel the best you can and you will find most of them. If the hinge is trash, you can use the edge of a cutoff wheel and just rub it over the weld back and forth. You will be through those welds in no time flat. The bottom of the windshield frame is pretty sturdy and won't bend too bad if you air chisel the hinge off. The cowl on the other hand is just sheetmetal and will bend pretty easily. I really like the grinding with cutoff wheel over drilling when a part is junk. :)

thesnake

Bronco Guru
I removed the windshield frame off a 74, there were 36 spot welds. Damn that sucked!!!

John

welndmn

Bronco Guru
4x4Alaska said:
welndmn - do you have any pics of the hinge and the nuts you used to attach it with?...I'll be going down that road soon.
stover nuts, just drill the hole a little bigger, and hammer the nuts in, No pics, Right now the front end of thr bronco is covered in junk as I finish up the 1 ton/ 4 link swap