• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Windshield Frame Bonded - What must I do when I remove the windshield?

Heitz

Looking for some advice from you experienced folks here. I've got a 77 that is in good shape with good paint. I've been taking care of issues that the P.O. didn't. I've got the top off of the bronco and working on some floor repairs. Here's my issue, I can't for life of me get the windshild hinge to budge. I put a can of toolbox Buddy to it and it won't move. Given the P.O. love for all things silicone, I'm assuming that I've got rust and a possibly an adhesive/sealant working against me. Think I'm better off leaving it alone.

The windshield is coming out to replace the seal, it's shot and leaking. What items do I need to address before that windshild goes back in? Defrost vents, heater box? P.O. put a dash cover on it, that's cracked and needs replaced. It was screwed in place along the front and glued the rest of the way. I don't see any screws holding it in the back.

I've seen several posts talking about gaining access to screws once the winshield is down.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and guidance.

Heitz

bax

Contributor
Old Member
did you take the bolts out in the dash?

OP
OP
Heitz

Heitz

Bax,

I did not remove any bolts in the dash, where would they be located? How many and what do I need to remove in order to get to them? This is my first go around with a EB. Know 66 F100s like the back of my hand.

Heitz

bax

Contributor
Old Member
there are two bolts. one on each side of the dash. They are in plane sight about 10'' in from each end. the dash pad kinda goes half around them. Be easy with them. The tend to rust up and if they twist off you may have a full days work ahead of you.

OP
OP
Heitz

Heitz

Bax,

Thanks, I ripped the plastic dash pad cover off and they were staring me in the face. They came right out and the windshild layed right over. Thank you!

Heitz

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Yeah when you get the bolts out it always helps. Glad they came out.

big blue

Loc.
Kentucky
The early years had chrome knobs you twisted out to lay the windshield down,
later ford never intended for it to fold down.