• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Windshield frame piano hinge?

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am about to re-attach my windshield frame and hinge. When I took the original hinge off of the body via spot welds...it looked like a sealer had maybe been put down in between the mounting area on the cowl and the lower part of the hinge to prevent water from getting between that area. The frame has never been off before, so it is a factory sealer, kinda white/ off white in color and looks like a small bead was possibly put down in the center of the spot weld area(center of the hinge)and runs the entire length of the cowl from left to right or vise-versa. Anyway..Is there something else I can put in this same area to prevent water and moisture from getting under the bottom part of this hinge? Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Blue71

grant_71

Bronco Guru
I think most use a rubber gasket between the two halves of the hinge, i know its available from JBG. The sealer is just to keep water from getting under the hinge where the spot welds are. Any brush on automotive seam sealer will work, Eastwood has a few kinds, i usually buy mine from a local auto-body supply store, or any other decent parts store.