• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Windshield frame welded not bolted??

DC_Gearhead

So one of my last sheet metal items to replace is my windshield frame. I had never flipped it down to look, but assumed it was bolt on since I saw some diagrams that showed bolts. Turns out it is attached with a million spot welds. I gotta replace it, but would rather bolt it back on. Has anyone else had this issue?
bfd195d92a0deeed5cc5e3d56bb0f85e.jpg
c4554cfa9c937032c25ce4ea6ec0d7a8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Only early ones were bolted, but I would have considered yours with vacuum wipers early enough to qualify. Must've just been after the running change point?

In what year and month was yours built?

Paul

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

I think February 68. That’s a lot of spot welds!! Any advice?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sure... Repair it in place!%)
If that's not an option, drill baby drill.

I remember several people drilling the old ones off and screwing the new ones back on. But I don't recall their procedures and practices, and whether or not it was worth it.
But I don't remember hearing any negative remarks afterwards either.

Not sure how the threaded aspect is achieved. Hopefully someone that's done it will spit forth some details.
Lots of cowl repairs here lately. Maybe some of them worked on windshield frames too.

Have fun...:p

Paul

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My '71 got T-boned and being a rusted mess, I picked up a Cali '67 out of a junk yard. The windshield among other parts had already grown legs and left since they were simply bolted down. Like you, I thought "Sweet", I'll unbolt the one off my '71 and move it over. Crap did they get carried away with the spot welder. I drilled them out then welded the holes in the hinge shut. Realigned and drilled for bolts into my '67 tub.

I think you could figure this part out using Nut-serts in the tub and bolt the hinge down.

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

My windshield frame is toast. More Bondo than steel at this point.

I am so done with spot weld drilling. The only “Ford” exterior sheet metal on the Bronco is that dang windshield frame!! I actually thought I was done and I would just bolt my new windshield frame on and be done. Then I see all those spot welds.

I just felt underneath and there are no welded nuts under the cowl. Looks like I’ll be welding the new one on, unless someone else has a better idea.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just as a heads up, you might have missed .94 OR's post just a minute before yours.

Paul

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

My '71 got T-boned and being a rusted mess, I picked up a Cali '67 out of a junk yard. The windshield among other parts had already grown legs and left since they were simply bolted down. Like you, I thought "Sweet", I'll unbolt the one off my '71 and move it over. Crap did they get carried away with the spot welder. I drilled them out then welded the holes in the hinge shut. Realigned and drilled for bolts into my '67 tub.

I think you could figure this part out using Nut-serts in the tub and bolt the hinge down.

I have a rivnut/nut-sert tool. I’ve been using it on everything from mirrors to hardtop holes. Awesome tool. That’s a good idea.

You ain’t kidding about getting carried away with the spot welds. Dang!!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think they realized that it was a much more highly stressed area then they'd originally thought. And it really is!
As long as the hard tops are in place, it's probably no issue. But running for any length of time without one, or as a factory Roadster, they probably ran into failures early on.
Just a guess on the failures, but it's definitely highly stressed.

I much prefer the idea of bolting though. For all these reasons.
Some bolts and "glue" in the form of silicone sealer would do the trick nicely I would think.

Paul

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
My 68 has the bolt on frame...i'll dig up my marti to see when it was built...turns out January of 68

Last edited:

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
Indeed, tons of welds. So many on mine there is no way of reusing the hinge!

It is time to replace the frame anyway due to rust, big bend, bondo, bad brazing etc....

Going with stainless frame, hinge and nutserts. Not worried as it will always be braced with either the top or roll bar braces.

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

Indeed, tons of welds. So many on mine there is no way of reusing the hinge!

It is time to replace the frame anyway due to rust, big bend, bondo, bad brazing etc....

Going with stainless frame, hinge and nutserts. Not worried as it will always be braced with either the top or roll bar braces.

Sounds like we are in the same boat. Where are you getting a SS frame?

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

My family cage will have support brackets attached to my windshield frame, so I’m thinking about just using riv-nuts to attach the hinge with a little silicone under it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My 68 has the bolt on frame...i'll dig up my marti to see when it was built...turns out January of 68

Wow, just a one month difference. That could definitely pinpoint the changeover time.

Cool if it gets confirmed by a few more. I'll have to check mine now. Luckily I can just go over Doug's build photos and see if it's bolted or welded.;D

Paul

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I drilled the spot welds out and then marked an SS hinge where the spot weld holes were not and then transferred the new marks to the body and windshield frame then drilled and tapped new holes and used button head SS screws. All for naught since I moved the wipers to the Australian side.

albino

Loc.
Sacramento area
My Bronco is registered as a '69 and had a factory removable windshield frame. At the time, I assumed they all did until I purchased a replacement tub for a new build and found out about the spot welding.

Since the new rig was completely gutted for the build, I ground down all the spot welds on the factory hinge, completely removed the old hinge from the tub and windshield frame, bought a new stainless hinge, marked and drilled new holes and bolted the hinge to the tub and windshield frame. I welded nuts on the underside of the tub where the windshield frame hinge bolts to.

Like someone else mentioned, I'm guessing nutserts are probably the way to go if the rig is not gutted to access underneath the dash compartment for welding nuts.

Skytrooper15

Loc.
Tuscaloosa,Al
Did anyone else notice the pop rivets in the third and fourth holes in the picture.It seems to be welded on the bottom end and the first hole.Then again I may be seeing things again. :p

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

Did anyone else notice the pop rivets in the third and fourth holes in the picture.It seems to be welded on the bottom end and the first hole.Then again I may be seeing things again. :p

I wish they were rivets. It’s just the camera angle. Those are holes.