• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wing windows whistling?

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are there any suggestions (without having to buy new rubber) how to prevent the wind from whistling around the wing/vent windows. I have wedged something under the lock handle like 2 quarters etc...to pull them tighter but I still get some whistling. Almost afraid I'm gonna break the handle off that locks them. Any suggestions?? Thoughi about caulk but it looks bad.<br><br>Thanks, Blue71

merciless

Loc.
Brooklyn, NY
You sure its the wing. When I was realigning my doors now i get a whistle. Thought it was the wing too but its on pass side and i cant check it proper when driving.<br><br>Finally got the wife to help mine is wistleing from the front door seal in the corner between the wing and the dash pad stuck a rag in it and it stopped.

ktmrob200

Try a little silicone spray to soften the rubber seal , also might try a hair dryer for some heat on the seal. I also use the spare change tech. you mentioned.

swa0330

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland,OR
Yes, make sure that you play some metal really loud (perferably rage against the machine, metallica, Rob Zombie) this is certain to fix the wind noise

G

Mine does the same thing and what I do is just undo the latch so that the window is cracked a little bit. That usually takes care of it.

Bronconut

I bought some of those anti-theft things from the local auto store. It is a piece of metal that wraps around the window edge and then has a thumb screw that tightens against the wing frame. ( does this make sense?) Now, no more whistling and it doesn't look rigged. I hope you can make sense of this!

72bronco

Bronco Guru
I had the same thing and the whistling was definately coming from the passenger vent window. Nothing I did seemed to fix it but at least it didn't whistle when the top was off. Later I installed a soft top and interestingly enough the whistling went away.

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
I thought that was just part of the Mystique of driving the Bronco...the mysterious whistling ::)

Kansas Corey

Loc.
NorCal (East Bay)
Mine does the same. I takes a piece of folded paper between 1/8" and 1/4" thick wedged between the latch and the window to close and seal mine tight. I acutally went as far as to disassemble the latch mechanism thinking that the spring washer inside was sprung or flat.

Turns out that the little post (about the size of a pencil eraser) where the latch slids on (and is part of the chrome stripe on the bottom of the wing window) is bent ever so slightly. Now the real problem comes out though - the little post itself is not really bent, but rather it is sort of press fit into the chrome window stripe and the whole thing is leaning sideways a little(apparently someone forced there way in through the wing window in the past).

The best part of the whole story is that I have no idea of how to fix it. I took a hammer and tapped the post until it was straight and reassembled everything, but as soon as any pressure is applied to the latch it just bends right back to the old position.

Any help would be appreciated.

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
if you have a cage like I do, the darn things are not even functional anymore. Opening them two inches isn't even worth it. A little bit of black rtv and no leaks, no whistle.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I tried every trick out there, nothing really worked. Replacing the rubber was a major PITA but it cured the problem completely.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
[quote author=GRIZZLY link=board=5;threadid=11427;start=15#msg115386 date=1047742439]
What's a wing window?? ROADSTERS RULE.....Sorry, I don't know what came over me ;)
[/quote]

Now that stings... ;) My hardtop is a permanent installation because it needs to be a "lockable" all-weather daily driver and it's just too much hassle to r&r the top. So now I find myself fantasizing about a beater EB that could be topless and doorless. First the place in the country with the big barn to store it (and the airplane, motorcycles, bicycles, blah blah blah) in, instead of suburban family/school/soccer/cul-de-sac living. Someday...