• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Winters shifter linkage, 4R70W with NP205...anyone move shifter cable from front

frdboy

Contributor
Here's why flipping the shifter linkage bracket so it's pointing up won't work...

With the shift linkage lever ( lever with the ball stud) is below the shifter shaft that sticks out of the side of the tranny (it's normal position) when it is in the forward position then the tranny is in park. When the shift linkage lever with the ball stud is up above the shift shaft (flipped 180deg from stock) the shift linkage lever will be in the forward position when the tranny is in 1st gear...no problem if I just relabel the shifter face BUT because this is a 4R70W if the shift selector sensor isn't flipped so it is now facing down this sensor will sense that the tranny is in a different gear than it is in...not good... with it down, the driveshaft will crush it.

So I figured out I’m screwed with the front driveline interference with the shifter linkage. It can't be moved to the vertical position without the shift selector , also being flipped and now hanging down-- which would then be crushed. If it wasn't flipped, it would be reading the tranny in the wrong gear...

Somebody correct me if I'm way off here...

You are correct...you can't flip the stock lever. You can with the B&M kit I posted above, comes with a new shaft and a lever that can be clocked up or down.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
If you could run the shifter with park in the rear, you wouldn't be the only one..... My buggy is that way because that's how it fit ..... Lol

Hope you figure this out, I'm no help....

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
The sensor does not care where the ball stud is. It only cares where the shift shaft is rotated to. In Park whether the ball stud is above the shaft or below it doesn't matter so long as the ROTATION of the shaft is in the correct spot so that both the trans and the sensor think the same gear has been selected.

Assume for the moment no other constraints; Shifter mounted & gated normally. Normal shift lever has the ball stud below the shaft, so shifting to park rotates the shift shaft (as seen from the side) to it's max clockwise position.
Now flip the ball stud to be above the shift shaft and bring the cable in from the front (it magically got long enough to do that). Putting the shifter into park still rotates the shift shaft to the max clockwise position as seen from the side.

Can't clock the 205 up some to create more clearance?

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Hey Thom, I was going to change my post after thinking about it this am...you are right the range sensor doesn't care... I think I'm going to mock something up to not destroy the shift rod and bracket that I have there now so when I put the Dana 60 in I can go back to the shift pattern not being backwards like Steve and I mentioned earlier

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Lowest part of the 205 is already above the bottom of the frame rails... I'm stuck...

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Wow, if you're like me and every three or four years you totally rebuild the same Bronco with different running gear or different suspension or different engine you name it...make sure you buy a Winters shifter!!! It allows flexibility when you change things completely around a couple years down the road or more.

I didn't know this until I tore into the shifter mechanism (in the cab) and it allows me to connect the shifter cable so as I move it from park to first gear it will now push on the transmission shift lever allowing me to have a shift lever pointing up instead of the way Winters intended to be with the shift lever pointing down. This will allow me to have plenty of clearance between my driveshaft and l the transmission ... like up to half an inch!

The black line is a bungee cord and you can see how it is hitting the transmission shift linkage with the bronco just sitting on the shop floor!

This is great news as this buys me time before the Dana 60 goes in...

Attachments

• IMG_7838.jpg
    IMG_7838.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_7835.jpg
    IMG_7835.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 92

lagbolt

Sorry to bring back a old post not sure if this is allowed or not. Tried searching and can’t seem to find anything on the subject. But anyway I have the same setup 4r70w with winter shifter and the shift lever on transmission is an inch away from the front drive shaft because it sticks down. My question is how did you get the lever to point in the up position with the winter shifter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Well, it's been a couple years now so I have a different trans in it now! lol I think I just flipped it over. Movement in inches is the same. It just moved it out of the way.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Would need to flip the cable front to rear or rear to front or the shifter will backwards, but the shifter's gate won't.