• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wiper arm position when parked

Bradsp8

How do some guys get their wiper blades to sit horizontal (parallel with the windshield) and not at an angle pointing downward toward the passenger side? Did they bend the arms? Are they aftermarket arms? I have OEM arms that I believe are Trico and I don't want to mess them up trying to bend them if it's not easy to do.

Fairlane514

Loc.
Houston
You can remove them, and reposition them. They are on a splined stud and can be moved or clocked one spline at a time. There is a tool which makes it easier to remove. You can probably find it at an auto parts store.

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
You can remove them, and reposition them. They are on a splined stud and can be moved or clocked one spline at a time. There is a tool which makes it easier to remove. You can probably find it at an auto parts store.

haha, it sounds crazy but I do the same thing. In the winter/spring I reposition them to hang down a bit for maximum coverage during those wet months. Then in the summer/fall I move them up to be flush with the top of the windshield. They don't provide as much "sweep" coverage in this position, but are less frequently used in those months.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And just to be clear, are yours down all the way from perhaps an old soft top of bikini top installation?
Reason I ask is that many will install the drop bracket for the wiper motor and not reverse the short arm between the motor and linkage. In those cases you have to remove the nut, pull the arm and rotate it 180 degrees.

Just checking...

Paul

OP
OP
Bradsp8

Bradsp8

Thanks for the suggestions I'll try rotating them on the shaft and see if it works but my guess is that they'll be above the windshield by the time they're parallel. It seems my arms don't have the required angle built into them to achieve the positioning I'm after.

DirtDonk, I believe my wiper motor arms are in the stock original position. I'll try flipping the short arm and see what happens as it's easy enough to try.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
whoa! Before you flip that link be sure you need to. If the wipers go across the windshield you are ok . If they go up and above the windshield and try to wipe the air then you need to flip the link. I got this wrong and the blades got hung up on the lip of the top and I thought I was going to strip the gears in the motor.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Definitely! Don't want them parked up there like some bug antennae!

But you can tell for sure just by looking. If the arms are parked at a steep down angle, and go UP when you turn the wipers on, then the arm is backwards.
If they are parked down but continue on to sweep across the glass, then they're just positioned incorrectly on the shafts

A stock wiper motor has it's business end (mounting point and gearbox) on the passenger side and the motor itself facing the driver's side.
When a drop down bracket is installed, the motor is flipped so that the motor is not on the passenger side of the gearbox and the stock wiper cover will no longer fit without modification.

If you can shoot a pic of your wiper setup, please post it up here.

Paul