• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

wiper motor, roll cage question

MartyG

Bronco Guru
well, in the middle of the worst drought in California history, it looks like we'll be finally getting some rain so I'm installing my wiper motor.
of course it's hitting the roll cage. I'm wondering what I can do for this, is there a drop bracket I've been hearing about?

Attachments

• 20140226_140849.jpg
    20140226_140849.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 145

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are they that far apart (close apart) normally, and just the usual flex has moved the motor bracket to touching?

I wonder how much you could gain by trimming the top off of the bracket? Looks like it might be enough to get rid of 90% of the rubbing.
Unless that shot was taken with the cage moved away?

(edit: nevermind, I see that the center scrape is actually the wiper arm moving in it's arc. Can't very well trim much of that off, so the lowering bracket it is then)
Is there anything to the right of the motor that it might hit when it's flipped? Because this bracket is used to literally flip the motor end-over-end to clear the lower soft tops. It doesn't just simply lower it.

Paul

Last edited:

muskrat

Bronco Guru
Could it be the location of the cage also? My fabricator installed the Front part or the cage too close. No one knew until I turned the wipers on fornthe first time. Ended up having to notch the cage a bit and welding in some support.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think the location of the cage is the main issue actually. If there had been a wiper motor cover on it when it was fabricated, it would have been moved much farther back I would think.
Maybe they didn't have one. Or maybe they just wanted it closer to the front than the cover would allow (some feel they look funny too far back), and just overcompensated.

Not sure that pulling the windshield farther back is an option, if there are hard doors in the way, but I wouldn't think that pushing it farther forward would be an option either.
From the looks of the marks, a little trimming of the bracket and some rearward-English on the frame, might help keep things clear.
If there are hard doors to contend with though, the frame is where it's going to be, and the only reasonable modification is probably to move, or modify the cross bar.

Hard to tell with just one pic from one angle of course, but that's what it seems to me.

Paul

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I just built one today. My roll bar is right next to the windshield frame. Took a little fab but it looks like it will work fine.

OKLA70

Loc.
Skiatook, Ok
maybe if you put a 1/4" spacer between the bracket and the windshield frame. I had a similar fitment issue when I built my cage. I didn't account for the rotating wiper arm...duh!!

That is how i got around the issue. Good luck

Tim