• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wiring Harness Gurus

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Trying to get my pside front marker light working. The wires went through the radiator support and ended under the battery tray. There is a wire run down that inner fender and the headlight circuit is there. There are several cut wires as well but none that match up to the colors in the harness. On the drivers side the light goes into the terminal below and there is a second terminal that looks the same there as well connected to nothing. Not sure if the wires are in the pside harness or on the dside. Looking for some guidance.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• marker light harness 1.jpg
    marker light harness 1.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 63
  • marker light harness 2.jpg
    marker light harness 2.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 42

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
Pete,
66-67 headlight diagram below. Maybe review and see if any of it matches. Should have a black/yellow wire that runs over to the driver marker which I believe is your running lights. Also should have a white/blu wire that should be the directional/hazard line (driver side should be green/white). That line is independent of the other marker. This is all assuming any of it is left over from the stock system and wasn't altered. You can also try putting your DVM on the each of the contacts or cut wires and see if you have your 12V when you initate the parking light switch.

http://seabiscuit68.tripod.com/images/66-67exterior-color.gif

PS-I can swing buy sometime and give you a hand and see if we can straighten it all out.

Last edited:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The drivers side connector has 2 brown and 2 black wires (1 is ground for washer pump). Brown is the running lights, black is ground. The passenger side connector has 2 brown and 1 black. On each side, one brown goes to light harness and one to front running/turn light.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When I wired my '67 I found it odd that the front park lights would go out once the actual headlight was turned on. I didn't like this feature in the case of a headlight going out, oncoming traffic couldn't tell where your vehicle was located with only one headlight (and also no factory side marker lights). Since I was in possession of my '71 harness I wired in the front marker lights to stay on when the headlights were lit.

I throw that out there so you don't chase your tail trying to figure out why there is no juice at times (when the headlights are on).

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Pete I have the harness what came out of my 71. You are welcome to it if you want. The back part isn't that great but the front wasn't in bad shape. I also have a complete (?) harness out of a 73 or 73. I might need some sections off it but that might work for you

Hank

OP
OP
fatboy

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
The drivers side connector has 2 brown and 2 black wires (1 is ground for washer pump). Brown is the running lights, black is ground. The passenger side connector has 2 brown and 1 black. On each side, one brown goes to light harness and one to front running/turn light.

I have a connector on the Dside that has two brown and 2 black which is not connected to anything (photo 2). The drivers side light is physically hooked up to the connector in photo 1 and has one brown and one green. I probably should have said this is a 66 tub registered as a 71 (per vin) but could have any year harness in it.

Pete,
66-67 headlight diagram below. Maybe review and see if any of it matches. Should have a black/yellow wire that runs over to the driver marker which I believe is your running lights. Also should have a white/blu wire that should be the directional/hazard line (driver side should be green/white). That line is independent of the other marker. This is all assuming any of it is left over from the stock system and wasn't altered. You can also try putting your DVM on the each of the contacts or cut wires and see if you have your 12V when you initate the parking light switch.

http://seabiscuit68.tripod.com/images/66-67exterior-color.gif

PS-I can swing buy sometime and give you a hand and see if we can straighten it all out.

Cannot open this from where I am but will check tonight when I get home. Ironically I have the shop manual and cannot find any wiring harness or indications of wiring circuits. Art is coming over Thursday night and we are going to re flare the one leaking brake line. I will probably be playing with it all weekend and I always have cold beer!

Pete I have the harness what came out of my 71. You are welcome to it if you want. The back part isn't that great but the front wasn't in bad shape. I also have a complete (?) harness out of a 73 or 73. I might need some sections off it but that might work for you

Hank

Good to know. Ultimately I will be putting a completely new body harness into this but I may need to steal pieces and parts for the summer. Will keep you posted.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fatboy

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
When I wired my '67 I found it odd that the front park lights would go out once the actual headlight was turned on. I didn't like this feature in the case of a headlight going out, oncoming traffic couldn't tell where your vehicle was located with only one headlight (and also no factory side marker lights). Since I was in possession of my '71 harness I wired in the front marker lights to stay on when the headlights were lit.

I throw that out there so you don't chase your tail trying to figure out why there is no juice at times (when the headlights are on).

I appreciate the heads up! That would have driven me crazy.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Here's a diagram that's easy to read.

Attachments

• 72wd4.jpg
    72wd4.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
fatboy

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
It would help us help you if you put the truck's YEAR in your signature so it always shows. More info (like ViperWolf's) would be even better.

Tub is a 66, VIN says 71, frame, no idea. This was put together with parts and pieces as far as I can tell. No idea what the harness is.

OP
OP
fatboy

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
These will help. I think the harness is 70 but I need some daylight to trace some lines.

Attachments

• 70-71exterior-color.jpg
    70-71exterior-color.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 72_31-38_color.jpg
    72_31-38_color.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 66-67exterior-color.jpg
    66-67exterior-color.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
fatboy

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Traced out the wires last night and the harness on the pside has a brown and a blue/white wire so I think I am set, just need to put a terminal on it and reinstall the light and I should be good to go.

Thanks Viper (and everyone else) for helping me track it down.