• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wiring ignition set up

Uncut1970

I need some help on the wiring...

New tuff stuff Voltage regulator,
90-130 high amp alternator (one wire) from Wild Horses,
New starter from Wild Horses,
MSD 6al,
MSD coil,
And Summit HEI distributor

I want to make sure I have everything wired correctly on the first try... guidance is appreciated

It’s what I have; I want to make it work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well first off, leave out the new regulator. Your alternator is a self-exciting, internally regulated alternator. Which means it's already got the regulator inside so you don't need an external one, or it's wiring.

You will still need (if you don't already have it) a new charge cable for the alternator.
This is what we sell for that application: WH High-Output Alternator Charge Cable
You can make your own or buy it pre-made. Either way you need the larger wire to handle the current capabilities of the new alternator, and will no longer use any of the wiring that's currently on the back of your old alternator, or up at the regulator.

Starter uses less current than the old style, but it still never hurts to overkill starter and battery cables. So if your old ones are large and in good condition, by all means continue to use them. If they're older, or smaller, or looking a little worse for the wear, replace them with some good heavy cables. Minimum 4 gauge, with 2ga even more desirable for it's bit of overkill effect.
Wiring the starter is pretty straightforward. Instructions in the box, and many threads about it here.

What's the part number on your Summit HEI distributor? If it's a real HEI, meaning it's got the big GM cap on it, then you don't need your MSD coil (unless it's a replacement for an HEI?).
As for the MSD-6 module, I'm not sure how to add one to the HEI style distributors. It can be done of course, but is likely more trouble than it's worth and your spark is going to be much improved over normal setups anyway.

So depending on just what you have, a couple of those items sound like they're going to be unneeded extras for the time being.

Paul

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The four pin HEI module is removed and replaced with MSD GM HEI Module Bypass Cable 8861. This cable connects the
MSD 6AL box to the magnetic pickup inside the distributor. Also, you don't need an external coil, just use the coil on
the HEI cap, as Paul stated above.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8861/

Here's a youtube video so you can get an idea what needs to be done.

[youtube]JvwCCf_21lc[/youtube]

Attachments

• MSD to HEI.jpg
    MSD to HEI.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
OP
OP
Uncut1970

Uncut1970

Well first off, leave out the new regulator. Your alternator is a self-exciting, internally regulated alternator. Which means it's already got the regulator inside so you don't need an external one, or it's wiring.

You will still need (if you don't already have it) a new charge cable for the alternator.
This is what we sell for that application: WH High-Output Alternator Charge Cable
You can make your own or buy it pre-made. Either way you need the larger wire to handle the current capabilities of the new alternator, and will no longer use any of the wiring that's currently on the back of your old alternator, or up at the regulator.

Starter uses less current than the old style, but it still never hurts to overkill starter and battery cables. So if your old ones are large and in good condition, by all means continue to use them. If they're older, or smaller, or looking a little worse for the wear, replace them with some good heavy cables. Minimum 4 gauge, with 2ga even more desirable for it's bit of overkill effect.
Wiring the starter is pretty straightforward. Instructions in the box, and many threads about it here.

What's the part number on your Summit HEI distributor? If it's a real HEI, meaning it's got the big GM cap on it, then you don't need your MSD coil (unless it's a replacement for an HEI?).
As for the MSD-6 module, I'm not sure how to add one to the HEI style distributors. It can be done of course, but is likely more trouble than it's worth and your spark is going to be much improved over normal setups anyway.

So depending on just what you have, a couple of those items sound like they're going to be unneeded extras for the time being.

Paul

This is the distributor

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-850021

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I haven't checked out the video that Scott linked too yet, but that sounds interesting.
So if you're set on using your MSD 6 to get multiple sparks, it sounds like there is a relatively easy way to get that done now. I was not aware of the parts to convert an HEI.

But if you still just want the simplicity of an HEI, leave it as-is and hook up one power wire and you're done.
Or two wires if you want to use a tachometer as well.

Paul