• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wiring restoration questions

CO-Bronco69

Loc.
Basalt, CO
So, I've done a lot of work over the last couple of months to get my '69 Bronco running and driving, but somewhere along the line, before I got the vehicle, a prior owner started disconnecting much of the wiring. Now I'm to the point of restoring everything. Is there a go-to source for wiring schematics that would show where all wires would re-attach, along with the names of the snap-on connectors and modules? I wish there was a way for me to post a picture of all of the loose wires hanging under the dash.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Become a contributor, $$ spent goes to keep this site up... Then you can post :)

I guess the next question is, are you working with a Factory harness or a poorly installed aftermarket one?

jmhend

Bronco Guru
So, I've done a lot of work over the last couple of months to get my '69 Bronco running and driving, but somewhere along the line, before I got the vehicle, a prior owner started disconnecting much of the wiring. Now I'm to the point of restoring everything. Is there a go-to source for wiring schematics that would show where all wires would re-attach, along with the names of the snap-on connectors and modules? I wish there was a way for me to post a picture of all of the loose wires hanging under the dash.

1st- welcome.....

2nd- Steve83 a member here has a great site, give it a look for all wiring.

https://www.supermotors.net/registry/21979/75575

OP
OP
C

CO-Bronco69

Loc.
Basalt, CO
Thank you! It's an original wiring harness currently looking like a big mess of spaghetti. The website links to diagrams shoud be of great help.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The good thing about the manual that hammer linked to is that Painless uses the original factory colors for this particular kit. While there have been some very minor variations over the years, your '69 should fall right in the middle and probably 99% of the colors will match all the diagrams mentioned.

The difference will be routing, but that's not an insurmountable issue. Your '69 (the '66 through '70 Broncos) uses the two rectangular firewall connectors and the fuse panel is mounted to the firewall just behind them. Whereas the '71 and later Broncos, and ALL of the aftermarket harnesses have the fuse panel in the glovebox and the firewall connectors are gone.
But 90% of the functionality is the same.

Paul

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Current wiring is over 50 years old and a mess.

Sounds like it's time for a new wire harness.