• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

wirring help for flat towing??

doghows72

Bronco Guru
I need some advise on wirring my rig for flat towing.
I would like to wire the lights on the Bronco with a 4 way flat connector straight to the tow vehicle, and to the tail lights of the Bronco. My question is if I do this will it have any adverse effects on the rest of the Bronco's wirring.
I want to use the power and signals from the tow rig. I have an injected motor and don't want to mess up the computer. Thanx..

66horse

Bronco Guru
doghows72 said:
I would like to wire the lights on the Bronco with a 4 way flat connector straight to the tow vehicle, and to the tail lights of the Bronco. My question is if I do this will it have any adverse effects on the rest of the Bronco's wirring.
I want to use the power and signals from the tow rig. I have an injected motor and don't want to mess up the computer. Thanx..

Ill try to find the product i used. But basically it allows you to use the power fromt he tow rig and the lights on the broncos but still keep both electrical systems seperate!

Steve

66horse

Bronco Guru
Try this product

elec_wiring_18175_lg.jpg

Integrated Circuit Protection Safeguards Itself and the Tow Vehicle Against Harmful Electrical Shorts and Mis-wire Situations. (Available in PNs 18175 & 18195)

Can be found by going to http://www.draw-tite.com

Then choosing electrical and then going to taillight converters. PN 18175. I got mine at offroad warehouse.

Steve

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
doghows72 said:
hey dog, Ok I am maybe overstepping my bounds , but don't forget to remove the rear driveline.

OP
OP
doghows72

doghows72

Bronco Guru
Thnx. I have a warn full floater kit. Nice to know people are still looking out for us though. :cool:

68beast

Loc.
Covina, Kalifornia
Its easier and cheaper to just take a flat 4 pin connector, buy some sockets and some bulbs, and lengthen the wires on the connector and wire 'em up to the sockets. Drill a little hole in the plate that the taillights are on and mount your bulbs there and wallahh ur done, and they are no way connected to the electrical system of your bronco. Atleast this was the way I did it, good luck! ;D :cool:

ransil

Bronco Guru
If you still have the factory EB wireing, there is a 4 pin square connector by the master cylinder that feeds the rear lights of the EB, disconnect it and connect it to the tow rig.

I have one here already made up, pay shipping.

ManTruck

Bronco Guru
I use a harness and magnetic lights. I picked them up from a rental truck center, I think U-Haul. I just use my existing plug on the back of my tow vehicle. I use them for several things such as pulling trailers that are not wired for my plug, flat towing, etc. Very easy and no head aches.