• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Won't start: is this a battery related problem? FIXED

OP
OP
raleigh_bronco

raleigh_bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
bert said:
For the no start, get out your test light.
Turn the key to the on position and check for power at the (+) positive side of the coil, light should come on.
Have someone crank the engine and check for power at the coil as above, the light should come on.
If the light does not come on in either or both situations you have found your no start condition. Post back and let us know. There is an unmeasurable wealth of experience and knowledge on this board.

I've got a small hand held meter to measure resistance and voltage. What v should I read at the coil in key 'on' pos.? 12V?

What v should I read at the coil in key 'start' pos.?

Thanks for your response and I'll check it out tomorrow during lunch.

B

bert

For the key on position, I don't have and exact spec but I would say in the 8 - 10 volt range.
While cranking, I would expect the voltage to be very near the battery voltage say 10 -12 volts.
Basically you are looking for spark from the coil while cranking.

Nuke

Raleigh,

Check your timing--maybe we didn't give the distributor enough clearance.

Backgroud for the rest of you: Raleigh notched out the support beam in his hood to accomodate a new (flamethrower?) distributor.

B

bert

So?
What did you find wrong? and what did you do to fix it?
Glad it running again.

OP
OP
raleigh_bronco

raleigh_bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
bert said:
So?
What did you find wrong? and what did you do to fix it?
Glad it running again.

Take a look at the first post I updated late last night.

Thanks for your input and I'm sorry for troubling everyone over something as simple as gas.

76 explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
oklahoma city
am i the only one who doesnt understand how a vehicle out of gas would cause a grinding noise? it may start now but i would check into that grinding noise too....

OP
OP
raleigh_bronco

raleigh_bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
76 explorer said:
am i the only one who doesnt understand how a vehicle out of gas would cause a grinding noise? it may start now but i would check into that grinding noise too....

When I put gas in the tank last night it fired right up on the first crank without hesitation... keep in mind this bronco hadn't been started in over 3 weeks.

It is now starting on the first crank every time and I am not noticing any noises so hopefully what I perceived to be a grinding noise turns out to be in my imagination. The starter motor is seated flush against the flange so I don't think there is an issue.