• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wristed Radius arm vs. Extended Radius Arms

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wristed Radius Arm or Extended Radius Arms! Trying to figure out which way to go. I'll be running a 3.5" lift and have heard good things about both. Any preferences or comments. I can do the wristed locally for 160.00 and order the Duff or others for $ 385.00 and up. Is it worth saving my $$$ and just use the wristed?

Thanks Much,

Blue71

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
75 said:
and ground clearance. bill

how is that? Mine has way more clearance now that i got rid of the stock stuff. Duffs are tucked up closer to the frame and offset for bigger tires.

Howdy

Loc.
Folsom, Ca
I agree with 77. My Duff arms mount against the frame the the same height if not higher than the stock arms and follow the frame to the axle. They won't be getting caught on much. Plus with the duffs I got most of my caster back and its nicer to drive to the trails.

I used to have a wristed arm. It actually feels more stable off road with the extended arm than the wristed. The wristed looked great flexed up. Seemed to stuff the tire higher up into the fender than the extended does, but wheeling with the extended arms feel better for some reason. Probably all in the mind I suppose. I am sure doing either will be just fine.

griff

Loc.
solvang, ca
I had the same thing about 6 months ago. I went with the wristed arm and love it, especiallyfor the price. I bought howiebilts old one for $50. Maybe you could find another member who switched to a WAH and buy their old wristed arm.

About the ground clearance. Seems to me that if you mount the radius arms "12 back, that is right where you come down on the rocks. It would decrease your breakover angle. decreasing ground clearance.
I'm not saying it's a bad setup, I'm sure it works good.

OP
OP
Blue71

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
mxpaz said:
$160?????:? Man I did mine for under 20 bucks.

I' like to get one for 20 or 50 bucks. A fab shop here made one for a friend. I could make one for 20 buck on my own I guess but don't trust myself to weld it strong enough.

Blue71

45acp

Loc.
Texarkana AR
i have the JD arms, and i love them. however, knowing what i know now, i would have gone with wristed stockers. i wheel with a guy with a wristed arm and his has the exact same flex as mine up front for about $50. i spent almost 2grand on this kit... got one of the first one's when they came out a few years ago. oh well, you live and you learn.

BTW, ive never had much trouble with the breakover angle. they mount up really close to the frame, and dont hang down much farther than my home-made TC skid plate.

Dusty

Bronco Guru
I'd like to see some pix of the $20 wristed arm. Also, I would NOT run a wristed arm without beefing up the rigid arm too. Figure this into your costs when doing your comparisons.

Dusty

tonto

Bronco Guru
Here's one of mine, I can't remember specifically how much it cost but it wasn't more than $30.00, I agree on beefing up the non-wristed one I still need to do mine.
wristedarmshoxmnt000.jpg

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I built my wristed arm for about 30 bucks and dont forget they aren't worth a damn unless you make new mounts and new longer shocks so you end up much closer to to 150 when its all said and done. I dont have to pay anyone to do this stuff and if I did it would be better to go with the duff set-up and bolt it all on. The difference in cost is minimual if you cant fab your own stuff but can do a mechanical swap.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Rustytruck said:
I built my wristed arm for about 30 bucks and dont forget they aren't worth a damn unless you make new mounts and new longer shocks so you end up much closer to to 150 when its all said and done. I dont have to pay anyone to do this stuff and if I did it would be better to go with the duff set-up and bolt it all on. The difference in cost is minimual if you cant fab your own stuff but can do a mechanical swap.

OK Rusty,

You usually have a pretty good response when you post. I don't have any means of fabrication, so a mechanical swap will likely be the best go for me. Are you suggesting that Duff offers a wristed arm, or to use their long arms? I think that Duff tubular arms are sure nice, I'm just not attracted to the price... Suggestions?

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Thanks Patton,

My next question is where did Tonto get his lower shock mount? Does it need to be welded or can it just bolt on? (I understand that it is imperative that your shocks be oriented this way, otherwise they will bind at flex when mounted like stock)

OP
OP
Blue71

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks guys for the recommendations. I may do the wristed thing first. If I don't like it a may save up for the extended radius arms. I have heard a lot of good things on the wristed though.

Thanks Much,

Blue71

OP
OP
Blue71

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Howie,

I'd love the have the WAH but I think \the install is to technical for me. Wish I had someone to help me install it. Hint,hint! Kidding.

Thanks mUch,

Blue71

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
seriously , the WAH is pretty darn easy to install and the directions that come with it are very good and explain each step along the way .

Howdy

Loc.
Folsom, Ca
The only thing I didn't like about my wristed arm was the pulling of the pin every time you wanted to play offroad and have flex. Then at the end of the day trying to get the pin back in there. It was just like my darn Jeep with the sway bar disconnects. It gets old quick. I like having my extended arms and getting out to lock or unlock the hubs and you are gone. No more trying to find a rock to park on or a buddy to jump up and down on the bumper to get the holes to line up to get the pin in or out.