• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Xtreme 4x4 9in

RFR2212

Loc.
Chicago Burbs
Not sure if anyone just caught the xtreme4x4 but they did a cheap disk swap on the cheap jeep. They said it cost under 100 bucks. They used 85 3/4ton chevy front calipers and they showed 3 different disks. Which set did they use? Also, I believe it was Blue Torch Fab for the caliper mounts, correct? I saw it at this cheap and am definately interested in doing this. I have no worries about that small disk wiggle due to being an offroad rig only

thanks to anyone who can help

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I would hazard a guess that they used the CJ disc as some of the vendors also use this disc for their rear disc kits. I agree it's cheap, but no parking brake so I won't touch it.

Ben

OP
OP
RFR2212

RFR2212

Loc.
Chicago Burbs
Parking brake is also something I'm not worried about. If i can just figure which disk for sure, I'm golden to add another winter project to the list

Hazegray

If you are considering using Blue Torch Fab, do a search on the company over at Pirate 4x4. They seem to be having delivery problems (backlog of work?) to their customers, but the quality is supposedly good.%)

mr.n

Did mine for $100

8.8 rear disc brakes from a Lincoln Mark IIV (with parking brakes) - found a used set in great shape in the junk yard. (now clue how much new)
CJ rotor, CJ studs (rotor sits on the inside of the flange)
Used the top of the 8.8 brackets, ground the bottom to fit the 9" and welded on.
Held up find this summer of trail riding with 38's.

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
If you are considering using Blue Torch Fab, do a search on the company over at Pirate 4x4. They seem to be having delivery problems (backlog of work?) to their customers, but the quality is supposedly good.%)

Ordered something from them two months ago and had no problems. I had my stuff a few days later.

OP
OP
RFR2212

RFR2212

Loc.
Chicago Burbs
I hope it's the chevy disk. I was searching autozone and 85 cj rotors were 170! Chevys were about 35-40. I'll see what there is. I may also be able to get the rotor mounts from Balistic Fab in AZ. I got all the heims and parts for my steering from them.

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
I hope it's the chevy disk. I was searching autozone and 85 cj rotors were 170! Chevys were about 35-40. I'll see what there is. I may also be able to get the rotor mounts from Balistic Fab in AZ. I got all the heims and parts for my steering from them.

What chevy rotor has a 5 x 5.5" pattern?

OP
OP
RFR2212

RFR2212

Loc.
Chicago Burbs
hmm coulda sworn i saw some cheap 5x5.5 chevy disks. Don't some of the chevy disks come like that as some sure them on disk swaps for the 44? I dunno, just gotta figure out which rotors these really are..

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
If you want to add a parking brake you can use a late '70's Eldorado rear caliper.

How do they work? I assume the cable goes threw the spring and when engaged rotate the little lever bar. But what does that do? mechanically engage the pads, or does it just lock pressure inside the caliper?

Attachments

• disc-brake-calipers-01-lg.jpg
    disc-brake-calipers-01-lg.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 13
  • disc-brake-calipers-02-lg.jpg
    disc-brake-calipers-02-lg.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 15

broncodude_73

If you want to get rid of the disk wiggle use Dorman wheel studs part # 132
u will have to drill out your axle shaft to 5/8 to install these studs but they will get rid of the disk sloppyness.

I used 14bolt brackets from ballistic fabrication and ford D44 rotors

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
How do they work? I assume the cable goes threw the spring and when engaged rotate the little lever bar. But what does that do? mechanically engage the pads, or does it just lock pressure inside the caliper?

It works a ratchet in side the caliper to mechanically apply the pads. I'm using them on my F250 Dana 60. They are a bit expensive for rebuilt units but worth the money in my opinion.

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
I've got the brackets, rotors and calipers for the chev. set up - no e-brake. I'm pretty happy with my current disk/drum set up for now. I'd part with it - send me a pm if you're interested.