• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Yakima roof rack

Project_bronco

Loc.
Cottonwood, CA
I need a roof rack and am looking at the yakima a1 towers. I measured the bronco roof. It is about 58" wide. BUT, the bars for the yakima are also about 58". Will this work, or do I need the 66" bars?

Thanks for any suggestions.

P.S. I tried this system from proline, it's the GMR-165: http://www.prolineracks.com/spec-cartop-carriers.html
And while it looked nice when I unpacked it, the angle on the towers was too much and pushed against the curve of the roof. That's why I'm going after the Yakima system.

idhawkdriver

Loc.
Boise, Idaho
Ha, I was gonna say the same about yours!!!

Another thread you might want to check out is this one:

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163418

Matt W has a pretty slick method to mount his racks when he's running a bikini top. I'm gonna do something similar this winter when I tear mine down.

Funny how most the posts on this forum are late at night. If anyone else is like me, it's because the wife or girlfriend is in bed and we're out in the living room trying to be quiet. ha ha

OP
OP
Project_bronco

Project_bronco

Loc.
Cottonwood, CA
58" is perfect. It leaves about a 1" nub sticking out.

OK cool. I thought I was stuck with 66." I guess I'll just get whatever I can find the cheapest then.

Also, I have to second what idhawkdriver says, that is a very sick setup. Good work and thank you for the info and picture.

idhawkdriver

Loc.
Boise, Idaho
The only reason I went with the 66" is I wanted to have a little extra on the ends in case I wanted to attach an offroad light like 76BroncoJ did on his. Thought it was a good idea.

I just picked up a yakima roof basket off of craigslist tonight too. No more fuel can in the back seat for me! (I have stock bumpers so no storage)

OP
OP
Project_bronco

Project_bronco

Loc.
Cottonwood, CA
The only reason I went with the 66" is I wanted to have a little extra on the ends in case I wanted to attach an offroad light like 76BroncoJ did on his. Thought it was a good idea.

I just picked up a yakima roof basket off of craigslist tonight too. No more fuel can in the back seat for me! (I have stock bumpers so no storage)

Man, and I thought I had it all figured out. That is a good point, the extra length may come in handy. Though, the 58" seems to go for considerably less than the 66". I guess I'll just have to see what I can get.

Thanks everyone for the input.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Not trying to hijack but does anyone have a set of the tall towers to sell?

If so, PM me. I have the short/med? towers that will not work with my soft top and would be willing to sell or trade.

Ben

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
Go wider on the cross-bars rather than narrower. I've been using roof racks going on 20 years now to haul all kinds of things...Never once have I said - man - I wish this thing had a little less room on it.

Having 3-4" of bar overhang off each end gives you a ton more flexibility in mounting accessories as they can now have 1 side attached outboard of the towers rather than inboard. You'll find with the 58" bars you could only fit 1 roof box, but if you had the 66 you could put 2 side by side (or 2 kayaks, or a box and a ski rack, etc.) I'm surprised there is a significant cost difference in the lengths. I've used Thule for years and last I checked their cross-bars are within $5 of each other from the shortest to the longest lengths.

hartbronco

Loc.
Powell River B.C Can
I need a roof rack and am looking at the yakima a1 towers. I measured the bronco roof. It is about 58" wide. BUT, the bars for the yakima are also about 58". Will this work, or do I need the 66" bars?

Thanks for any suggestions.

P.S. I tried this system from proline, it's the GMR-165: http://www.prolineracks.com/spec-cartop-carriers.html
And while it looked nice when I unpacked it, the angle on the towers was too much and pushed against the curve of the roof. That's why I'm going after the Yakima system.
Go for the 66" bars they look better IMO .

idhawkdriver

Loc.
Boise, Idaho
Not trying to hijack but does anyone have a set of the tall towers to sell?

If so, PM me. I have the short/med? towers that will not work with my soft top and would be willing to sell or trade.

Ben

Ben,

For about 2 months I was a craigslist junkie finding the rack and the roof basket. I didn't see whereabouts you're from, but here in Idaho there's always someone looking to upgrade their system. If you have an REI nearby, they usually have a "for sale" board with some pretty good deals.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Yeah I don't know anything about roofracks but I will say there's a difference between living and living well! And blubuckaroo, that looks awesome... and the dog tops it off lol

Thanks,
The kayak is multifunctional on our trips. It's loaded with camping gear.