• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

yanking the engine

stretch

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
It seems that I need a little advice. I'm about a day away from yanking my engine and replacing it with an explorer 302. While I have the engine out, I was planning on resealing the transfer case and having a shop go through the C-4. So here's the question, can I pull the engine, tranny and transfer at the same time? Will the core support get in the way? Is it better just to disconnect the tranny, pull the engine then drop the tranny/ transfer together. One more question, where is the best place to attach the hoist at the engine. It is a 77 block with FI.

Rockinbronco76

Loc.
Ellisville, MS
U cant pull the engine, tranny, and tranfer case at the same time. there jus aint enough room, and the tranfer case support bracket gets in the way. I would say 2 disconnect the moter from the bellhousing, disconnect the tranny from the transfer case, and drop it. Disconnet your driveshafts and drop the tranfer case! nothin 2 it..ha ha ;D

OP
OP
stretch

stretch

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
I just realized that I'll be replacing the inner fender skirts. I believe that means the core support will be removed at the same time. With the support gone, would there be enough room then?

CRZA1

Loc.
Albuquerque
I removed the engine three speed and dana 20 at once. All you need to do is hoist the nigine off the mounts. Put a floor kack under the t-case. Take the cross member out. Lower the t-case. On the hoist you need something to change the angle or you need someone holding the t-case to move it up and down. I used a little of both. I used a plastic wraped steel cable and my brother. It was much easier than trying to take apart the transmission under the car. If you wanted to do it a little easier, than just slip off the t-case. Be careful though it is a bit awkward and kinda heavy. Then you should easily get the engine and tranny out. Just remembered if you have the core support out it should be real easy to pull it all at once.

Rockinbronco76

Loc.
Ellisville, MS
yeah...since u will be removin the core support anyway...it will be easy 2 take it all out at once. But u must remember 2 remove the T-case support bracket first.

planewrench

Loc.
Crawford, Co.
As CRZA1 said, you can pull the whole thing out together. Even with a C4. It will come out with the core support in place, but as he said, it takes quite a bit of tilting to get it out. No big deal though.