• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Yeller's Broncno Build: New Adventures!

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Ok I've been asked numerous times for a build thread. I don't have a lot of pics but will share what I have and as many details as I can come up with.

As many of you know as a hobby I build competitive rock buggies, and other extreme hard core stuff. For the last 8 years I've had at least 1 chassis being beat on by the top drivers in the nation and has never finished under 5th place in the nation. Those that are interested in what that segment is like just google "Kenny Blume rock crawling" or "Kenny Blume roll overs" . That's enough about some of my back ground, lets get on with the build.

A little back ground on the rig, I had a complete K-5 Blazer that was 1 tonned and linked in the front that I killed the chassis on. I enjoyed the truck but it had its limitations and I obviously had pushed it harder than I thought and harder than it was going to accept. So I had a complete drive train and some other parts to put to another build. The idea was to take all of my experierence building buggies and build a full bodied early Bronco on a shoe string budget with spare parts and some creativity. If you see something and ask yourself "why did he use that?" more than likely the answer will be I had it laying around. The final goal wasn't so much a pristine EB but a highly functional buggy that has a complete (OK mostly complete) EB dress. I think it came out well.

I do have to give some special thanks where they are do. If it wasn't for Gordon Bailie it would not be pretty, it would be just as functional but not quite as refined. GatorHyde truck bed coating in Wagoner OK for spraying the bed liner inside and underneath. Kenny Blume for moral support and the occational, he hold this. Inphobic for inspiring me to build a bronco. And most importantly my wife for being a shop widow for a many months and always saying yes with a true happy smile.

He's some of the highlights for stuff:

TBI 350 (Since been swapped for a warmed up all aluminum 5.3 LS)
700r4
241 C (since been swapped for an 3.0:1 Atlas)
14 bolt rear
GM Dana 60 font
Jeep TJ steering box
Jeep CJ poly fuel tank
AFI wiring harness and computer for the TBI motor
Rebel Wire wiring harness
Raceline wheels 17x9-1/2 with 5" of backspacing, currently BTR 17x8 with 4-1/2” of back spacing.
5-1/2" BC Bronco coils (thank you INPHOBIC)
Bailie Bilt bumpers and tool trays
BDS shocks for a the rear of a lifted 1/2 ton chevy 11" stroke.
As many recycled parts as humanly possible.

I'm sure you've noticed a theme, no blue oval parts, I work on very few if any Fords in the shop so consequently no parts other than what were pruchased or aquired specifically for this project, Hence the name Broncno.

I

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
This is 2 weeks after we started. Frame is 2x4 1/8 wall square tubing from the rear links to the front bumper, from the rear links to the rear bumper is 2x3 1/8 wall. Did not upload as planned and really skipped ahead.... Oh well more coming.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 506
  • Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 487
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 529
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 659
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 551
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 494
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 481
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 492
OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I wound up not having as many as I thought, I started this on the weekend before Thanksgiving 2011 and drove it the first time March 17th 2012 so I spent most of the time working on it, not taking pics... :p

Attachments

• Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 406
  • Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 453
  • Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 362
  • Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 357
  • Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 389
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 425
OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
For some final specs it came out to 100" wheel base, has 18" of belly clearance at the control arms an 20" at the belly. Its 51" tall at rear of the door opening, for refference with 37" tires is 5" taller than a stock 66 roadster with 27" tires, so do the math no lift and 37's.

for fun here a few action shots;D

Attachments

• Picture 049.jpg
    Picture 049.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 383
  • Picture 048.jpg
    Picture 048.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 414
  • Picture 047.jpg
    Picture 047.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 403
  • Picture 046.jpg
    Picture 046.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 422
  • Picture 045.jpg
    Picture 045.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 422
  • Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 480
OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Over all I'm very happy with the end result. Its drives down the road perfectly, and I do mean perfectly, it really reminds me of a mid 90's F150 with firm shocks only much shorter and responsive.

Besides the new motor and tcase the best update as been a Duff power booster with a GM 1 ton truck mastercylinder. it really brough the brake up to perform with the rest of the truck.

Feel free to ask questions and I'll answer them the best I can.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Ahh the infamous yellow bronco at OCBR with the pumpkin on the wrong side:p

OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Is that cage made with bent tube or cut connections.

The tube is mitered. The idea was I wanted a large flat roof that I could put an aluminum safari roof on. Mitered is way stronger than bent. The trick is to cut the angle in the tube, then cut a plate cap that just fits the id of the miter without falling inside and weld the cap, then weld the 2 together the corner is stronger than the tube. The main structure is 1-3/4 .120 4130 tube (and yes I had it laying around...) all the suport and triagulation tubes are 1-1/2" .90 DOM. the cage is part of the chassis, its all sandwiched together creating a 14 point cage so the chassis is really ridgid.

BRONCROB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WISNER LA.
The tube is mitered. The idea was I wanted a large flat roof that I could put an aluminum safari roof on. Mitered is way stronger than bent. The trick is to cut the angle in the tube, then cut a plate cap that just fits the id of the miter without falling inside and weld the cap, then weld the 2 together the corner is stronger than the tube. The main structure is 1-3/4 .120 4130 tube (and yes I had it laying around...) all the suport and triagulation tubes are 1-1/2" .90 DOM. the cage is part of the chassis, its all sandwiched together creating a 14 point cage so the chassis is really ridgid.

I like the look of it over some of the sweeping bends in some cages.If you dont mind post a few pics of the corners,I want to copy that on mine if it's ok with you.

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
Looks a little light on the pics for a build thread....but I can attest to the rig working well!