• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Yeller's Broncno Build: New Adventures!

craigellis77

Yeller, what's the width of your frame rails? I searched the thread but came up empty. I'm building my own and thinking of going 32" on center in the front and may narrower in the back to make shock mounting easier.

OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
they are 32 on center in the front and 38 in the rear. The rear is wide enough that a Heep TJ fuel tank will fit between them. Which I still need to acquire and install. Really want to get to an in-tank pump and have 20 gallons available without hanging any further down than it currently does.

ctay

Is the frame basically the same shape as a Bronco frame but wider? I'm trying to decide on building a fully custom frame or just widening a stock one. Anything you would do different?

OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
In the rear the side profile isn't a bunch different it raises 3" higher to the top of the rails behind the seats and over the rear axle straight to the bumper, which is part of the chassis. the front raises a lot higher than a bronco, if I remember correctly it raises 9" at the firewall. Had to get it that high to get the ride height I wanted and to clear the front axle, suspension and steering. at the grill it drops down 4" to get under the grill and meet the bumper. I stepped out and took a few pics of the font for you.

As for different, I'd make the rear shock hoops tighter to the inner fender, they do rub the tires fairly aggressively, there's enough room I just didn't take it, that is on my todo list, been contemplating changing the rear springs, probably do all of that at the same time, when and if I get to it. I'd do a steering box with a long sector shaft that has the body above the frame, I'd really like to have 3 more inches of room for the radiator, every once in a while I wish I had a little more radiator (or a mechanical fan) at this point neither is very viable without very extensive rework. No more of an issue than the heat problem is, usually don't even have to stop just slow down, I just figure its time to slow down and take in the scenery when it crops up;D

Attachments

• frame1.jpg
    frame1.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 114
  • frame2.jpg
    frame2.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 107
  • frame3.jpg
    frame3.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 109
  • frame4.jpg
    frame4.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
pics sure help me see more of what I saw at the Safari 2 yrs ago Steve. :)

I can see now how much raising my frame would have helped me too...

OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Well I guess I got to playing on a sweet little smooth jump that was nice and smooth launching and landing. Guess the G out landing was a bit much lol. Steering assist cylinder mount made contact with the aluminum oil pan breaking it. So since this is the second one I've killed a picked up a steel pan to replace the oem cast aluminum. Also clearancing the ram mount some but should have an extra 3/4” of clearance between the new pan and slight modifications to the ram mount.

Attachments

• 020E4DEA-411F-49F9-88C9-CCBCD88C9AC9.jpg
    020E4DEA-411F-49F9-88C9-CCBCD88C9AC9.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 73
  • C01E3B85-4329-446D-ADA4-6C42F2E313E1.jpg
    C01E3B85-4329-446D-ADA4-6C42F2E313E1.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 75
OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Little "too much fun" huh?? ;)

You could say so:p;D

I have this cutie sitting next to me that giggles when the skinny pedal gets pushed and gets louder just like the exhaust music as it gets faster and funner:cool:;D

Really encourages some show worthy behavior LOL

nvrstuk

Contributor
... and updating your build after having so much fun with these "events" is always fun too!!

:)

OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
For some reason telling on your self for antics is oddly rewarding, I guess that is the sober way of saying “Hold my Beer and watch this!” LOL

Got the pan installed and will be driving it for a few weeks to make certain I don't have any leaks before welding the crossmember back in and bolting the skid plate back up. New pan has a few benefits. There is 3/8” more clearance at the impact location to better be prepared for any Dukes of Hazard stunts, which is just a paper thickness past steel on steel with the bump stops removed. The sump is also 2-3/4” shorter adding to the ground clearance.

Attachments

• 88D6B06C-441C-4F41-BF62-20B553C1B046.jpg
    88D6B06C-441C-4F41-BF62-20B553C1B046.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 59

nvrstuk

Contributor
SEE, you obviously needed to upgrade and doing some short flying stunt to justify it paid off! :)

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
You could say so:p;D

I have this cutie sitting next to me that giggles when the skinny pedal gets pushed and gets louder just like the exhaust music as it gets faster and funner:cool:;D

Really encourages some show worthy behavior LOL

LOL.... always the show man....

OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Merry Christmas! Hard to believe 10 years ago this build was in full swing creation. Man time flies

To celebrate I replaced all of the rubber fuel line with Teflon lined hydraulic hose except for the short connector piece between the pump and filter/regulator, and it got some new barrier hose. Should be good for another 10 years if fun.

I’m sure many of you remember the screaming fuel pump, I did a lot of things to make it quieter, which did help, but never got it to the level that I wanted. Which lead to my previous statements about going to an internal pump, before I crawled down that hole I decided that I wanted to try an OEM pump mount for an early MPI F150. Thanks to Todd Z sourcing some of those brackets for me I was able to get that installed at the same time. The pump is finally nice and quiet😎 thank you Todd!!!

Attachments

• 812CD81C-113C-4063-936E-9D1ACB5C2583.jpeg
    812CD81C-113C-4063-936E-9D1ACB5C2583.jpeg
    239.1 KB · Views: 36

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What an interesting and creative build +/- thread! Steve, when we met at SC 2020, I could tell that you were a super nice fella. I wish I had connected you with Broncno. Great rig, great guy, that's why I keep comin' back here.

OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Thank you for the compliments Howard!

And just so no thinks it’s living a completely cushy life in the garage, Ol Broncno still likes to eat 😎last weekend at Disney OK toy run along with a few other famous ponies😊

Attachments

• 5CEAE9FA-7A92-4E8C-94E3-CC3FE0B0B931.jpeg
    5CEAE9FA-7A92-4E8C-94E3-CC3FE0B0B931.jpeg
    242.7 KB · Views: 49
  • D5ADE5F5-31EC-4F4E-AFB7-2FDDDAE12EB5.jpeg
    D5ADE5F5-31EC-4F4E-AFB7-2FDDDAE12EB5.jpeg
    262.4 KB · Views: 49