• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Yellow77 on her side..........AGAIN!

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
We were up this area called Peacock Flats in the mountains on Oahu's Kaena Point and decided to run a difficult technical rock trail with deep dirt ruts 3/4 way up, My friend's call it the Initiator. To add to the challenge we ran it at night under the full moon. It starts off climbing steps of rock under low tree branches, running with no spotters just follow the leaders line. While concentrating on the leaders line in a bad spot I forgot about the position I was already in and fell into a deep rut as I let out the clutch. I tried to correct but over we went. A big rock saved us from going completely over which would of ended with a couple of rolls down. This was a hard right turn after making a steep climb.
Taz & Darion were screaming because the camping gear fell on top of them in the rig. I got the rig secured and got the kids out (we were all strapped in).
A winch cable came down to help me get on all 4s and assisted me out of that predicament I got myself into. We ran the rest of the way without anymore problems.
Sorry but these are the best pics I could pull up. I took a pic of the damaged door the next morning at camp.

Attachments

• DSC01903sm.jpg
    DSC01903sm.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 379
  • DSC01915sm.jpg
    DSC01915sm.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 352
  • DSC01917sm.jpg
    DSC01917sm.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 305
  • DSC01921sm.jpg
    DSC01921sm.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 706
Last edited:

OX1

Bronco Guru
Madgyver said:
ran it at night under the full moon.

Next time, can you roll during the day so we can see it better :p

Doesn't look like too much damage............

brian72

Early Bronco Student
looks like time for an exo cage....make it removeable :)

crawln68

Bronco Guru
Ahhh man! That sucks Mad. Hopefully it didn't scare the kids too bad. X2 on the full width axles. ;D

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Full width axles wouldn't of helped here as this part of the climb has been eroded over the years and cannot be passable without taking the higher line or sacrificing your rig, many rigs have taken a beating at this part of the run, My friends said that I came out pretty easy. Lack of a spotter is what really did it as my passenger side tires were on the edge of the deep rut and I didn't know. I stopped to watch the rig in front do the next climb and give him room so he doesn't come down on me, Thought about the line he took then I followed, I let out the clutch, the front passenger tires slipped into the rut, I turned left but the back tire fell in "Oh, sh!t!!" I heard a crunch and we were sideways....

Last edited:

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Dang Mad, I think I have a name for your yellow bronco "sidewinder";D at least it doesn't look too bad.

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Here is more pics..........

Seems like after resizing the pics to post they become darker..

Attachments

• DSC01901sm.jpg
    DSC01901sm.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC01906sm.jpg
    DSC01906sm.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC01914sm.jpg
    DSC01914sm.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC01919sm.jpg
    DSC01919sm.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
Thats what usually goes on durring night wheeling. I do 50% of my wheeling at night cause the tails are empty. I added 6 under carage lights, 2 reverse and 2 forwards. Having these is a must so you know where you are instead of looking down into darkness feeling for it. Before I had lights I fell into a deep gooy slick creek and couldn't get back out so I followed it hoping for an exit and without notice the front end dove down 10' small waterfall and stuffed the front 2' into the muck! :eek: Almost spilt my beer...;D Lucky for me it was soft goo so not much damage but I couldn't get to my winch or drive in reverse %) .
Out of no where a Toyota came down the main trail (2am mind you) and saw my tail lights sticking virticle in the air. Him and his buddies more wanted to get a good laugh I think as they were piss drunk. He made his way back and I got my rig out but I'll never go again without under carage lights.

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
fwilder said:
Had you already fixed the damage from last time?
Not yet......:cool:

I just label the damage with a penmarker on what trail it happened..

ARblackrifle

Loc.
Salt Lake City Utah
When I lived in Oahu I used to go to Kaena pt back in the mid 90s with my 401 cu AMX motored C7 I LOVE that place. If you gotta roll a vehicle it should be on Oahu :)

glad you guys are ok

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Someone wanted to see my rock rails.....;D

It's in the 2nd pic on the first post..