• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

yukon super joints or ox joints

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
I'd do the Yukon joints (also known as Jantz joints).

Ox is too 'on-again-off-again' for me to put much trust in them.

S/C-HD2002

Loc.
CO
jmaples said:
THEY WEREN'T ON YOUR LIST BUT MAN ARE THEY SWEET. I WENT DOWN TO BOBBY LONG'S PLACE LAST WEEK AND PICKED UP A SET. 300M/LIFETIME WARRANTY WWW.LONGFIELDSUPERAXLES.COM. CHECK THEM OUT

Interesting alternative. Has anyone else runs these for any length of time?? What axles did you end up running?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
jmaples said:
THEY WEREN'T ON YOUR LIST BUT MAN ARE THEY SWEET. I WENT DOWN TO BOBBY LONG'S PLACE LAST WEEK AND PICKED UP A SET. 300M/LIFETIME WARRANTY WWW.LONGFIELDSUPERAXLES.COM. CHECK THEM OUT
Is that price per joint? After reading the information (http://completeoffroad.com/wsm/i-1198_super_u-joint_yukon_d44_kit.html) on the Yukon joints the Longfields look to be basically a copy of them with a couple of things missing. The Jantz Joints (Yukons) have both the caps and cross made from 4340 where the Longfield uses 4340 for the cap and billet for the cross. The Jantz go a step further on the cross because they have a Titanium Nitride coating and they have pressurized reservoirs. Given this information the Longfield may be a good deal if the price is for a pair of them but the Yukons look like they may be slightly better based on the description and the price is less for them if the Longfield price is per joint.

Delta4WheelDrive

Loc.
Bakersfield
I have the OX's and have put some hurting on them ...however, like the other members said with the history of OX's business status, I would jump on the SJ. Keep in mind that you need to grease these types of joints (bronze bushing) after every full wheeling trip especially if you go through water. Even if they do not need the grease, it is a good practice to keep to keep these expensive units on the trail. With the spring loaded SJs, just give them a few pumps...

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The SJs do not even have a bushing of any kind..its the TiN coating on the trunions running directly on the hardened cap bores. Maximizes the trunion diameter though...I have not broken one yet and they sure look beefy.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Delta4WheelDrive said:
I have the OX's and have put some hurting on them ...however, like the other members said with the history of OX's business status, I would jump on the SJ. Keep in mind that you need to grease these types of joints (bronze bushing) after every full wheeling trip especially if you go through water. Even if they do not need the grease, it is a good practice to keep to keep these expensive units on the trail. With the spring loaded SJs, just give them a few pumps...
The Yukons do not use Bronze bushings. The cross and caps are both 4340 alloy with a titanium nitride coating on the cross that makes it look brass. The reservoirs in them are pressurized which helps to keep the anti-sieze grease from squeezing out. If the last year for me is any indication the Super Joints need to be greased about once every six months. (They can be over greased according to the instructions)

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
LOL..there is an echo in here. ;D

Saddleup..by pressurized cavities, do you mean the bores in the trunions?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
bmc69 said:
LOL..there is an echo in here. ;D

Saddleup..by pressurized cavities, do you mean the bores in the trunions?
Yes. They are also called spring loaded but the description that Jantz gave calls them pressurized. Until I read the information I thought the Yukons were a cheaper replacement alternative for the OX or CTM joints. Now I'm not so sure.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
SaddleUp said:
Yes. They are also called spring loaded but the description that Jantz gave calls them pressurized. Until I read the information I thought the Yukons were a cheaper replacement alternative for the OX or CTM joints. Now I'm not so sure.

Same here...I have not run the CTM or OX joints but I have read the 'specs' on all of them and I can't see where the SJs fall short in any respect. I know one thing..you sure cannot stuff any more meat in a u-joint cross than Yukon has and still sneak it in to the shaft ears.. ;D Some clever details in that feat, for sure.

40cent

Loc.
Marysville, WA
Im good friends with the guy in the warranty department at Randy's ring and pinion an he says that he sees more OX joints come back and hardly sees any Yukon joints come back at all.

S/C-HD2002

Loc.
CO
40cent said:
Im good friends with the guy in the warranty department at Randy's ring and pinion an he says that he sees more OX joints come back and hardly sees any Yukon joints come back at all.

Good info! I am sure that Randy's sees quite a few of these items both sold and returned. Did he mention what application the Yukons that did fail were being used in?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
ROKDWLR said:
I ordered mine from Carl Jantz.

http://www.jantz4x4.com/
How much were they direct? I'm guessing they are about the same price but am curious. Usually distributors make sure the contracts don't allow the manufacturer to undercut them. I've found many times that they were bound to the point that better deals could be found through the various distributors or outlets who were allowed to sale them for less.

OP
OP
C

claytargethntr

Loc.
winter az/co
wow one day and all kinds of good information. I think I will give the yukon joints a try. Complete offroads offer classic bronco.com is a pretty good deal.

Thanks again
claytargethntr

ROKDWLR

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stockton, Ca.
They were around $225 shipped IIRC. Mike at Complete Offroad is having a special for CB members so he might be the best bet now. I'm getting a high pinion 9", an ARB and a few other things from him before the special is over at the end of the month.