• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Zero oil pressure? Ideas?

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
NOOO!
It shouldn't be a common issue. The oil pump shaft has to be installed from the bottom. PERIOD!
The other way is just plain irresponsible.

Actually it is a very common issue with worn SBFs. The clip works its way loose and the shaft can come out with the distributor. I have seen a few distributor swaps go awry this way.

As for the second part, WTF are you talking about? If he lost the pump driveshaft in the pan, he has to pull it anyway. I don't know anyone personally who has had success fishing the pump ds from the top, but it can be done in theory. Usually it's just as fast to simply pull the pan.

OP
OP
G

Grantoser

Loc.
Missouri
Finally got everything back together.... Pulled the oil pan and inserted a brand new shaft from underneath... Bought a new oil pump and installed it too while everything was apart. Started right up and everything sounded good. Oil pressure was good at start up... Let it idle for a few minutes and then it slowly dropped down to about 10 psi. (This is a mechanical gauge) I decided to try to drive it around babying it and the pressure would rise with the Rpms... Up to about 35-40. No leaks or anything

Not sure what to think about the oil pressure...

Fairlane514

Loc.
Houston
Probably loose clearances ( or worn) bearings. You can try a thicker oil, but 20W50 can put more stress on the oil pump drive shaft and distributor gear.

How many miles are on the engine?

707Bronk

Finally got everything back together.... Pulled the oil pan and inserted a brand new shaft from underneath... Bought a new oil pump and installed it too while everything was apart. Started right up and everything sounded good. Oil pressure was good at start up... Let it idle for a few minutes and then it slowly dropped down to about 10 psi. (This is a mechanical gauge) I decided to try to drive it around babying it and the pressure would rise with the Rpms... Up to about 35-40. No leaks or anything

Not sure what to think about the oil pressure...

I don't think you have anything to worry about. I've seen quite a few SBF that have readings that low at warm idle, and all it means is that your motor is a on the side of being worn. Something to keep an eye on for sure, but nothing to warrant an immediate rebuild either. If you still have good compression, oil is still making it up to your valvetrain then I wouldn't be too worried. Lubrication is more important than psi - you could always run a heavier wt oil to increase your psi, but it becomes worse for wear at cold startups. So long as oil is being circulated, I'd say you are ok...until it begins to drop further.

My 351W hovers right around 15psi when fully warm at idle and has ever since I rebuilt it. And that is with an electrical sending unit, which itself may be a few psi off.

OP
OP
G

Grantoser

Loc.
Missouri
Thanks guys. Yeah I have no idea how many miles are on the thing... So might be a very old engine. Hopefully it will hold up for me ok for the next year or two (just a play car so not many miles will be put on it) and I can get a 351w later once I've recovered from the bronco purchase :p

I appreciate all your help!