• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ZF or AOD...Real World???

NoAZ68

Loc.
Northern AZ
Found a '79(?)AOD out of a Ford car also an '89 ZF put of a 4x4. AOD is rebuilt, ZF he's selling as a core, because it pops out of 2nd and 3rd gear. Both are cheap. Can I use a car AOD in the truck with the adaptor (AA or BC Broncos)? How hard is it to rebuild the ZF? I am a pretty competent mechanic, so I'm not too afraid to try a rebuild. Also, which do you all like in the real world (I want an OD trans), and which is easiest and cheapest to install (will be buying complete adaptor kit). Thanks to all...

bpassmore

Sponsor/Vendor
Loc.
Houston, TX
The AOD rebuild is gonna be cheaper thanthe ZF - I found this out the hard way...

The adapter will work fine on that AOD - make sure your mechanic (or you) uses the newer style pump and valve body in the AOD - makes all the difference)

the parts alone for the ZF are going to be 300 plus for what you described.
The Bearing/ seal kit is 125 (cheapest), and the the snycros are about 35 each (times min or 4), and the 2/3 gear and shaft are going to run you about 250 - the shops around here charge 600 for a complete rebuild minus parts (that is bench time - already out of the truck)

The AOD can be build cheaper and easier - but i boils down to what you want...

I want a ZF so im goign to fight through simialr issues./
what is he asking for a ZF core? $350? around here that is par for one in the condition you described..

OP
OP
N

NoAZ68

Loc.
Northern AZ
Thanks for the reply.
He actually wants $150 for it and states that he is only selling it as a core. I figured for that price it almost couldn't hurt to check it out. Do you lnow in the long run, which is the must trouble free, cheapest, and easiest option (ZF or AOD) and how new of a valve body and pump do I need?
Thanks...

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Buy the ZF. Even if you don't use it, they are going for $1000 used as a buildable core. As long as it is a small block 4x4 core, you are in luck.

bpassmore

Sponsor/Vendor
Loc.
Houston, TX
[quote author=NoAZ68 link=board=5;threadid=16266;start=0#msg124026 date=1050171332]
Thanks for the reply.
He actually wants $150 for it and states that he is only selling it as a core. I figured for that price it almost couldn't hurt to check it out. Do you lnow in the long run, which is the must trouble free, cheapest, and easiest option (ZF or AOD) and how new of a valve body and pump do I need?
Thanks...
[/quote]

ZF will probabyl be the most rouble free. The early AODs had a number of issues that you might want to avoid. If you want a non- computer contrlled OD auto, then go with the GM 700R4. They can be built stronger and cheaper, and has a better gear set ... oh yea one more thing on your AOD.. It will have the exact same gear set as you C4/C6 except for first and forth - first will likey be 2.40:1 (from 2.64:1 from C4, and 3.06:1 for the 700R4) but with a .67 OD.

If, big if, if it has the wide gear set, go for it, other than that, dont mess with it.... it take too much $ to build right.
$100 for a core is an incredible deal. Im looking around LKQ and BestCore Inc here in Hosuton, and I cant beat 350.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
A few thought about the AOD...

First came out in '80 so this one is one of the first.
Must tear it down to change the output shaft for the D-20 conversion.
Had a lube problem in the rear that wasn't fixed until '88
Maybe the lube upgrade was done, probably not. 2 different conversion kits depending one which way it is.
I would recomend avoiding this AOD for your application.

Another question, what do you want to drive. A great 5 speed still sucks if you don't like to drive a stick.