• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Distributor gear failure

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
What could be the cause of repeated distributor gear failure? The distributor gear is wearing on the back-side of the gear and usually won't last more than a couple of hours till the teeth break off. This is happening to my brother's Mercruiser 250 cubic inch six cylinder. I know! It's a Chevy! But the way a distributor is driven can't be that much different from a Ford.

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
The cam may be walking for some reason. That would be something that would cause this. Another would be that the distributor is not seating completely. Another would be a bad cam gear or a bent distributor. I had an old Glassmaster with a 250 mercruiser in it but never had these kinds of problems. Good luck!

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p I would think its time to replace the cam. I have tried fixing with new dizzy and new gear but after the first time it went bad it messed up the cam drive gear also. Time to put in a nice Erson RV-15 or so good luck.;D ;D ;D Bill %) :cool: ;D

65 mustang

is it the wrong type gear? iron for cast or a stock type non-roller cam or steel gear for a roller cam. I know a cast gear wont last a hour on a roller cam.(that was a mess to clean all that steel out of the engine.)
Scott

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Since the Chevy 250 only has a flat tappet cam, getting the wrong distributer gear would be nearly impossible for this application.
My guess is the cam was damaged by one of the earlier failures. That damage then goes to the new distrubuter gear and takes it out again and again.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Try a quart of slick-50, it might be a cheap temporary fix until you replace the cam.

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
Mad, I had a similar problem with my Bronco's engine. I lost two oil pump drive rods and now I carry a spare and the required tools to fix in my tuffy. I never had any problems with my gear though, just the drive rod. I could tell that the aftermarket changed grade of the shaft too since the original twisted like a candy cane and the aftermarket shattered. I had lots of fun cleaning the oil pan with a magnet fisher from the drain hole. Now I know how tough it would be to be a proctologist.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Does the dizzy have a shaft that drive the oilpump?

If it does then maybe the oilpump may be the cause...

A high volume oilpump was the problem with mine....read it here..

Mad is correct, with a high volume pump comes more pressure on the dist. gear. Also thick oil like 50 weight or even 40 will put more load on the gear. cam bearings going bad will also cause this problem. A worn out bearing in the dist will also allow the cam gear to sit to low on the cam causing more load on the ends of the teeth. cam gear installed wrong , same thing. Like already stated the cam gear could be messed up and you need a new cam.