• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Headers for GT40P Heads

lil red

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Ok, I a have a line on some rebuilt GT40P heads cheap. I have read all the threads about header issues. A couple of the most recent threads suggest BC's ceramic shorties and JBG's Ultra Flow headers will work. The question is are they straight bolt on or do they require some modifications? Is anyone running this set up? I emailed both companies and have yet to get a response. Help! The deal is to good to pass up.Thanks.

stretch

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
I have the BC headers and the clearance is fine. I still used slightly angled boots and the spark plug boots for heat protection.

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had asked this same question awhile back,there was one member here who was running the headers you mentioned that JBG sells. He was also running Taylor wires with 135 degree angled boots. He said he had been running this set-up with no problems. But I don't recall if he said there were any mods to making them fit or anything of that nature.

gclauson

Contributor
Try Bronco Hut

Bronco Hut's headers are designed to work with the GT40P heads.

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
Why do you want headers? For off roading (anything but desert racing maybe), manifolds will probably give you better low rpm torque, and they'll be less likely to crack in the long run.

That being said, I'm planning on running lightly modified stock mustang headers when I get around to throwing my mountaineer motor in. If I'm not mistaken, the collector on the PS side will need to be adjusted to clear the frame. Small price to pay for a $15 set of OEM headers though.

OP
OP
lil red

lil red

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Bronco Hut's headers are designed to work with the GT40P heads.

Just got off the phone with Bronco Hut. $299 for plain headers, $375 for ceramic coated ones. They say they clear everything - plugs, starter, p side frame rail. Crap - forgot to ask about clutch linkage. That should be it - Right?

BTW - got a response email from JBG - theres DO NOT WORK! They also suggested Bronco Hut. Even gave me their phone number.

OP
OP
lil red

lil red

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Why do you want headers? For off roading (anything but desert racing maybe), manifolds will probably give you better low rpm torque, and they'll be less likely to crack in the long run.

That being said, I'm planning on running lightly modified stock mustang headers when I get around to throwing my mountaineer motor in. If I'm not mistaken, the collector on the PS side will need to be adjusted to clear the frame. Small price to pay for a $15 set of OEM headers though.

I have headers with true dual exhaust and flowmasters now from the PO. The P heads should be better than the stock boat anchors I have now. That coupled with a high torque comp cam, performer intake and truck avenger carb, I should be set. But any advice is always appreciated.